Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

Need update

Customer Question

need update
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

To help you with this issue, may I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) Has the device EVER been updated in the past?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
serial n0. ml0805198821.......manufactured june 2008.....x11-15302
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

May I ask:

1) the MAKE (Brand Name) of the device?

2) To your knowledge, has it EVER been updated in the past?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nextar
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - let me check to see if there is an update available for this device.

But I must say that being manufactured in 2008, it may be less costly to purchase a newer unit, that comes with current maps and features.

While checking for the update, may I ask if the device still operates properly - including any battery life and using the maps that are currently installed?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
short battery life.....still map of major highways
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - I'm afraid I don't have good news for you, but I can make some recommendations for a replacement device if you would like.

The news on this device is that there are no updates available, even from the company that does offer updates for other Nextar models. That company is called "Navi Extras", and they support many different devices from different manufacturers - where the manufacturer has chosen not to offer updates (that happened a LOT back in 2008 time frame). I have a link to their page where they list to Nextar devices they do support, if you want to take a look (search the page for "nextar" if needed). >>click here<<.

By the way, typical map updates - if available - are from $40-$60 from Naviextras.

Also, I checked my regular sources for replacement batteries, and those are also not available. Typical cost of a battery replacement kit (battery & tools - when available) is $20-$35.

So if you could get the device battery and maps, the cost would be about $60-$95, plus any tax or shipping that might apply.

With that cost figure, what I would really recommend is looking for a newer device - from a main supplier of these devices - that would be at a similar cost. Also, I will let you know that MANY newer GPS units come with "Lifetime Map" updates - so you would be able to get updates for the life of the device, and that is included in the original purchase priced.

I personally like Garmin devices, as they are readily available, and Garmin has been around for a LONG time and supports there devices - with updates and repair services - even after the standard 1 year warranty has expired.

As an example of what is available put there now, and usually online AND locally (at electronics stores), I did a search on Amazon (for Garmin Nuvi LM - includes lifetime maps), and have a link to the results below.

Nuvi LM Search Results

http://amzn.to/1MM8ccC

You will most likely see some other GPS makers when you look at those listings, and I encourage you to take a look at them too.

Once you have an idea of what would work for you, then I would recommend calling or checking at the local stores, and see what they have for sale (or "On Sale") that might work for you.

I hope this helps and let me say I'm sorry to have to give you this news about that device. But please "don't shoot the messenger", as I will only give you an honest and correct answer and my best advice to have you get a device that will suit your needs.

Please let me know what you find or if you have any more questions.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Was i charged for this....if so how much.....i dont want to be charged for anything else in the future.....thank you for your help..
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again & You are quite welcome,

We experts are users of the site - just like you - and can not see any of your private information (such as any deposits or if you signed up for a monthly plan).

BUT, you should have a "My Account" link at the top of your screen (you may have to scroll up), and all that information should be there - as that is a "private" screen on your end.

Also, if this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)