Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

I'm trying to enter State into my Garmin but as soon as I

Customer Question

I'm trying to enter Washington State into my Garmin but as soon as I enter "WA" it defaults to only West Virginia or Wyoming
Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

May I ask:

1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with?

2) The AGE of the device?

3) WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I didn't see a response to my initial questions, but from what you mentioned, I suspect that there is a "subset" (or "region") of maps installed on your device. This often happens when you update the maps, and do NOT have enough memory in the device to hold the entire US states.

This can be checked by finding and looking at your "Map Info" screen, and seeing if there is a couple of letters AT THE END of the map file name, such as SE (for South-East), NE (North-East), etc.

The solution to this is to either:

1) update your maps and select a region that includes Washington state, OR

2) purchase and install a 4GB or 8GB microSD card, and then update your maps again - and this time installing ALL of the US maps. This will eliminate this type of issue in the future.

If you choose to get a microSD card, they should be available at most electronics, computer, or office supply stores and the like. If you need a reference to what you will be looking for, I have a link to the Amazon search results for an 8GB microSD card below.

8GB microSD card SEARCH

http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k

I hope this helps explain what I believe is happening. Please let me know your results or if you have any more questions.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did not answer my question adequately. Spoke with Garmin directly and received assistance to solve the problam.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
none
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

As mentioned in my last post of last night,

"I didn't see a response to my initial questions",

so based on the limited information, my answers could only be relatively generic about the cause and solution to the problem.

If my response lead to the solution in any way (including contacting Garmin support), please consider rating my service at a high level (Excellent is my goal), so that I get credit for my time attempting to help you.

Take Care & Travel Safe, Greg A.

(im)