GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I have plugged my Garmin into a USB port on my MACBOOK PRO.

Customer Question
What else, if anything, do...
I have plugged my Garmin into a USB port on my MACBOOK PRO. What else, if anything, do I have to do to update my maps? My Garmin is supposed to have free updates.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
9/1/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

May I ask:
1) The FULL Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) Is this the FIRST time you have tried an update?

Thanks

1) Nuvi 2555LM
2) about 2 years
3) first time I have tried to update
Purchased from Sam's 12/06/13

Hi again and thanks for that information.

OK - assuming your device is working correctly with the current maps, I have the steps for doing the update below.

How to Update Garmin Nuvi Maps.
===============================
What is needed?
1) A WORKING device with some previous version of maps installed.
2) A computer and USB cable (to be able to connect the device to the computer).
3) A microSD card (or microSD & SD adapter) of 4GB or 8GB (maximum) capacity. This MAY be optional, but is HIGHLY recommended. A link to where you can get an 8GB SD card is listed in the "resources" section below.
4) A current copy of "Garmin Express" installed on your computer. This is Garmin's recommended program (tool) for doing any updates, including device software AND maps. If you need to get a copy of Garmin Express, use the link below.
Click Here --> http://software.garmin.com/express.html
5) A HIGH SPEED internet connection (dial up is NOT recommended).

How is it done? Steps to Update device software and Maps.
==========================================================
Step 1) FULLY charge your device and then TEST it - without being connected to the charger or power adapter. This is to TEST the battery life of the device, as there are portions of this procedure (unit software update) that NEED the battery to be in good shape to successfully update your device. Once you confirm that the device will successfully operate for at least 15-20 minutes, then it should be safe to move on - AFTER FULLY charging the device again.

Step 2) Once the device is charged up again, you are ready to check and update the unit software ONLY! This is prepare the device with any updates that may be needed to recognize the SD card that is to be inserted in the next step, and to be able to store the updated map data on that card.
Step 2a) Connect the fully charged device to your computer via the USB cable and WAIT. After a few seconds (or perhaps minutes), the computer SHOULD recognize the device as a "removable storage" device, and allow you to "see the device" as such. NOTE: If the computer asks you if you want to "fix" the storage device in any way, respond by saying NO! You do NOT want to change the device at all right now, but just have it recognized and seen by the computer.
Step 2b) Start the Garmin Express program and make sure it "sees" your device. Once it does, the program SHOULD open in the "Updates" tab, and show you any updates that are available to the unit software and or maps. Do NOT try any map updates just yet, as all we are interested in at this time is the unit software.
Step 2c) Go ahead and load any need software updates, and give PLENTY of time for the updates to successfully load onto the device. Now this next part is CRITICAL ... When the program says it is OK to remove the device from the computer, WAIT an extra 60 seconds to make SURE all the software is written to the device. After this wait, remove the device from the USB cable and allow it to reboot. Allow it to power up if it does that "automatically", and let it settle on the main screen. Then take a quick look at the "Where To?" and "View Map" screens, just to make sure they can be reach without any issue. Then power the device OFF and back ON again, and check the rest of the screens - just to make sure they still work.

Step 3) Now power the device OFF, and insert the SD card. The card SHOULD go in easily - with a firm push and should "latch" into place, so do NOT force the card in.

Step 4) Reconnect the device to the USB cable and run Garmin Express again - to get the map updates.
NOTE: This can take a LONG time - depending on your internet and computer speed.
Step 4a) Find and click on the "Map Update" section in Garmin Express. If you do not have prepaid updates available, maps can be purchased directly from Garmin Express.
Step 4b) Run the download and install section of the program, and allow plenty of time for the maps to transfer to your device.
When the program says it is OK to remove the device from the computer, WAIT an extra 60 seconds to make SURE all the software is written to the device. After this wait, remove the device from the USB cable and allow it to reboot.

Once all this is done, TEST the device again - to make sure all is well with the new maps and the device.

Resources:
Examples of 8GB microSD cards listed on Amazon (link below).

http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k

NOTE: These are the results of a "search" on Amazon. Please select a GOOD quality card, as you will need this to work for some time (don't "go cheap" on the card that will be holding your data).

That should do it. Please feel free to print out these instructions and use them as a "check list" as you do the update.

Please let me know if you have any issues at all along the way.

Thanks, ***** *****

Hi again,

I don't have a phone line available right this minute, but may be able to get one later on.

Do you have any questions about the procedure I just sent - that I can answer here?

Thanks

Why in the world to I need to go out and buy an 8GB SD card? This shouldn't be needed.I am stuck in the EXPRESS program because it doesn't recognize my device.I never found your reason for not calling me.

Hi again,

Good to see you made it back to this thread.

If you check again, you will notice that the microSD card is a RECOMMENDATION (and optional).

The REASON for the recommendation is that map files GROW over time, and these units may become "full", and not be able to hold all the maps internally.

If you missed the part about the phone call - here it is again.

As for the device not being recognized, May I ask if you are plugging DIRECTLY into a USB port ON THE COMPUTER (not a hub)?

AND are you using the original USB cable that came with the device OR a USB cable that has been TEST & VERIFIED to pass DATA between the computer and another device?

Also, did the computer SEE the device at all - when connected to the USB cable and BEFORE Garmin Express was installed?

Thanks

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer