Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Using & Working with GPS systems for 10+ years
5229702

My pc does not recognise my Garmin nuvi 225W

Customer Question

my pc does not recognise my Garmin nuvi 225W
Category: GPS
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** look forward to assisting and am very sorry to hear that you are having this problem.
How is it connected to the computer? I can not see the page you read, what exactly have you tried?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I downloaded Garmin Express to update the gps. Normally it starts automaticaly but now it says constantly...I dont see any thing connectied. So i started al lover again, switched my computer of, unplugged the device but nothing changed.after i put it in my pc again and switched it on. So what else can i do?
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Have you tried a different cable and port yet?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did trie a different port, but the cable is all right...use it for filling up the battery and that works, I am sure it is in the software.
Expert:  Freddy M. replied 2 years ago.
Since you refuse to try another cable (it can work for power and fail for data) I will be opting out and opening this to all experts.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In my car the gps works perfectly it just is not recogniced by my computers...as well as my latop and my normal pc do not react properly
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont have another cable, but i can buy one of course
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if you think it is a possible solution..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the strange thing is that as soon as I connect the gps to my oc or laptop it gives this typical sound to tell that it is connectied...but then the program of garmin says...please connect your device..? Why
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your question earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
1) This COULD be an issue with the USB cable, and a new one is inexpensive, so that would be the first thing I would try.
2) By default, Garmin Express is set to "start up" and run - IN THE BACKGROUND - when first installed. The NEXT thing I would try is to find the configuration tools and set Garmin Express to run "manually" - when you click the icon on the computer screen. Then reboot the computer, and then connect the Nuvi. Then make SURE that the computer sees the device as a "removable storage" device.
If you does, you should be able to "explore" the contents of the device - to see if data of some kind can be seen.
If so, THEN start up Garmin Express - to see if it now recognizes that the device is connected. If Garmin Express STILL does not recognize the device or allow you to "Add Device", then the Garmin Express installation you have may be bad, and I would try to uninstall that copy and download and install a NEW (fresh) copy from the internet and try again.
I hope this helps. Please let me know your results or if you have more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
P.S. I'm going to be "in & out" today, so if you don't see a quick response, that is why.
(im)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you, ***** ***** buy a new cable, which is not a matter of money but of long distantie to drive, haha.
After. That I trie the wat you exploiteert to restaurant Garmin Express and afterwords I 'lltell you the resultaat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry for the stupid text... I meand: after that I trie to restart Garmin Express the way you described in your answer... Afterwords I shall tell you the results.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
No worries about text - I know things can happen between what is meant and the keyboard. It happens to me all the time.
I look forward to your results - when you have them.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today. You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)