Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Garmin nuvi50 that has not been used year or so.

Customer Question

I have a Garmin nuvi50 that has not been used for a year or so. I'm trying to update it so that I can use it for some upcoming travel. I've proceeded through dashboard and express. The updating process begins OK; however, it reaches a point (as I see it on the blue line) where it stutters and falls back to zero. After several tries I get a screen saying an update is not possible. It doesn't tell me why or what to do. What can I/shall I do?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Lets try a master reset on the Nuvi first, since its been unused for some time. Please watch the 1 minute video below and complete the steps it shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujdSP-fM98

Once thats complete, connect the device to your computer again. Then, if its been more then 3 moths since you downloaded a fresh copy of garmin express. Then update garmin express by downloading and installing it from this page.

http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html

Once installed, run garmin express. Make sure it recognizes your Nuvi 50 and then try the update again. It should work now.

But if you still run into issues, youre welcome to respond and I will assist you further as needed.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.