Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Magellan Maestro 4700 looking signal all the time

Customer Question

Magellan Maestro 4700 looking for sat signal all the time
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried a factory reset yet?

To do it, on the Magellan main menu, tap settings then tap backup and restore.

Then tap restore all default settings. Once thats complete, turn the device off and then back on.

Now, slide and hold t he power button in the on position for at least 1 minute. Then, let it turn off and on again.

And take it outside and see if it can acquire a satellite lock.

Let me know if you run into any issues.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent ( 5 stars ) selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I followed your instructions but I am still getting the same note: acquiring signal...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your advise did not work. Do you want to try something else?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Question. When you said you installed the 2.2 software.. Did you mean 4.2 ?

If you run the magellan content manager prorgam on your computer. Does it find any more updates for your magellan, when your magellan is connected and turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, only 2.2 and that is installed on the gps now.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

For good measure, can you download and install teh newest version of the content manager from here.

http://www.magellangps.com/contentmanager

Then once installed. Open and run the content manager on your computer.

Then,c connect your Magellan via its USB cable. And see if the content manager can find any updates for your device. ( It should )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The latest software version is 2.42 and I just downloaded it. But I cannot get the gps signal.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. After you downloaded it, Did it install to the magellan..

If so. Did we then reset the magellan?

Also, can you specify what happens when you slide and hold your power switch past the on position for about 45 seconds?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing happens, if the GPS is off and I hold the switch for 45 sec it stays off, if it is on it stays on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the software was installed and Magellan was reset.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to leave do you have any other suggestion?
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

For the time being, Im just trying to verify the function of your power switch.. Magellans support site doesnt specificy. But magellans tend to have three reset methods.

One method, is by sliding the switch past power and holding it for a minute.

The other, is sliding it past the off position and holding it. And the third, involves locating a separate reset button on the back, bottom, or the frame of the unit. and then pressing and holding that.

Your model will only be able to use one of t hose resets, depending on how the power switch behaves.. We definitely need to determine which reset method your model uses.. And then reset it.

As that will help it re-acquire a sat lock. ( especially after an update )

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dustin it did not work.
Expert:  Dustin replied 1 year ago.

At this point.. You may need to consider replacing the magellan. Magellan does not offer repair on their own devices. And their warranty only lasts 90 days.

Id consider getting a Garmin instead.. They offer 1 year warranties as a standard. And, they have a mail in repair service if you are outside the warranty, at a reasonable cost. Here is one of the newer 7" models that includes lifetime map updates, so you never have to pay for a map. Its also smartphone compatible. http://amzn.to/1iiD0tE

If you have further questions, let me know.

Dustin S.