GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

Sijad. I recently purchased the Garmin NuMapLifetime which

Customer Question
Hi Sijad. I recently purchased...
Hi Sijad. I recently purchased the Garmin NuMapLifetime which was purchased through Factory Outlet Stores. When I went to activate the download, a message said I needed to have a Communication plug-in software ( I think that was the term ) . What does that mean and can I successfully download the Activation Card without it ? Thanks ,Maury
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
7/14/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry I didn't see your questions earlier and to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask the FULL Model of the device you are trying to activate this download for?
May I also ask what computer type (Windows or Mac) you are using?
One more thing: What browser (such as Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc.) are you using when you try to do this download?
Thanks
Hi Greg! just getting to this e-mail. I've got a Garmin nuvi 255W and I'm using Windows 8 I think but it is a Windows. I used Internet Explorer to try to download the maps, Thanks. Maury
Hi Maury,
Try not to worry too much about email delivery times. Sometimes getting emails sent and delivered through this site can be a bit slow, so coming back to this page and refreshing your browser is usually gets you the quickest response.
OK - on to the issue.
First, the Garmin Communicator Plug-in is a "module" (plug-in) for your browser - that allows the device to communicate with the Garmin services - via the web connection.
So if you are getting some "warning" or other message about that being installed, you can trust and allow that plug-in to be installed.
Also, many times you will want to shut down ALL browser screens on the computer and restart the browser - AFTER the plug-in is installed. That allows the plug-in to "start up" with the new browser opening, and link up with the device correctly.
So did you get past the point of the plug-in being installed, so that your device can be "seen" by the computer and any Garmin program you may be running?
Thanks
Hi again,
I didn't see a response from my last note, but I wanted to send the following before I take an afternoon break.
First, I have a link to an article for the support site that goes into the details of how to activate a "gift card". Please don't be confused by the tern "gift card", as it is the same as any "card" or "code" that you may have purchased.
https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={42924db0-131c-11de-76c5-000000000000}
To summarize, what you will do is make sure you device is "registered" on the Garmin site, then you will activate the card - which ties that activation (subscription really) to that device.
Once that is done, you will want to use the Garmin Express program (linked to in the article) to do the actual download and update of the maps.
Also, please be aware that you MAY need to get an SD card (or microSD card & SD adapter) to be able to hold ALL of the map data on your Nuvi. AND that card will need to REMAIN in the device pretty much all the time. I recommend an 8GB card - as that should be plenty of space and they are not too expensive. You MAY be able to find such a card locally - at a computer, electronics, camera, or office supply store. But if you need a reference, I have a link (below) to a search I did on Amazon for an 8GB SD card.
http://amzn.to/1MIsupu
Please give these things a try and let me know your results - when you can.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer