GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I am trying to update my nuvi 1390 with garmin express. One

Customer Question
i get to the window...
I am trying to update my nuvi 1390 with garmin express. One i get to the window to chose to replace the full coverage of Europe 2106, i chose to do western europe, but the window is too big and I cannot click on continue. All the other windows were within the screen, but not this one. I have tried restarting my computer and re.installing Garmin express, but the same problem occurs. I have a macbook air.
/Users/marial/Desktop/Untitled.tiff
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/5/2015
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Senior Technician
Welcome to justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you. Before I suggest a repair can you check the version of mac osx you are running as shown below. Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.
OS X Yosemite version 10.10.3
Thank you. Is this the first time you have used garmin express since you installed yosemite 10.10 ? Or, had you previously used garmin express on yosemite and it worked just fine? while were considering that.. Lets try some repairs. First lets completely remove garmin. Mac:Click the black triangle icon in the Apple menu BarClick QuitClick Don't Run in Background buttonClick the Finder icon on the dockClick Go from the Apple menu barClick ApplicationsClick and drag Garmin Express icon to the TrashClick Go from the Apple menu barClick Go to folderType ~/LibraryClick GoOpen the Preferences folderClick and drag any files with names that start with com.garmin.renu to the TrashClick BackOpen the Application Support folderOpen the Garmin folderClick and drag the Express folder to the TrashClick BackClick Back againOpen the Caches folderClick and drag the com.garmin.renu.client and com.garmin.renu.service files to the TrashEmpty the Trash2Once the steps are completed, Garmin Express will be completely uninstalled. Once its been removed, we need to run a permissions repair next Open your finder ( magnifying glass ) type in disk utility, and launch the disk utility application. On the left side of the disk utility window, click your mac hd, then at the lower right hand side, click repair permissions . When it says permissions repair complete.. Reinstall garmin express and test. I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent/ 5 stars selected and submitted below this answer or at the top right of the screen, when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.Dustin S.Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
oh my goodness, I am trying.........I have got to library folder and clicked on "go", but where is the preferences folder ?
I installed yosemite pretty soon after it was offered, but I ma not sure when. I update my garmin once a year before I go on holiday around July time and the last time was July 2014
Just found the preferences folder, not in "go" but in the library
no com.garmin to be found in preferences folder ( all com.apple)
I did all you said, and reinstalled garmin express, but it is still the same. I see there is an update to Yosemite 10.10 4. If I do this will I lose our connection ? because I expect I will have to resart my computer.
My apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I had service to attend, and I am back at my desk.
The steps I outlined are not the easiest steps to complete. If you would prefer I can connect to your mac from here via a screen sharing session. And repair the issue directly, in person. If you would like to try that additional service, let me know.
Dustin S.
Well not having an answer for over 2 hours, I'm going to try the update.
I sent you an answer this morning within 5 minutes of you telling me what OSX version you had. ( not bad considering its a holiday weekend and you asked your question at 830 am Sunday morning) If you need further assistance, youre welcome to respond.
I'm in Switzerland, it was the afternoon here when I asked my question and it is not a holiday weekend here. I'm sorry if I have upset you. I'll wait till my up date to 10.10.4 is done. I've followed your instructions, and I'll do them again, and I'll get back to you. Thank you for your help so far.
You haven't upset me at all. My goal is to help you complete any steps needed in order to resolve the issue. I just wanted to draw attention to the answer I had sent, as that will be what we need to carry out next . ( if the update to 10.10..4 doesn't fix the issue) I recognize that we are at a standstill until the update completes. I look forward to your' reply after a successful update~ D.S.
Up date done and re-installation of garmin express done, but unfortunately I still cannot "continue " once I chose the maps I want to up date, the page/window is still too big :(
Understood. It must be an issue of the garmin express program files that I suggested we needed to remove earlier. You had looked over the steps and said you ran into issues. A quick way to resolve this problem would be if I connect to your mac directly and repair the problem in person. Im available now if you would like to try that? If you are uncomfortable with those steps I can try and walk you through the process via written communication. ( though this will take substantially more time ) Let me know how you would like to proceed, Dustin S.
I trust you, what do I have to do.
...so that you connect to my mac, I know it can be done, my son has helped me in the past.
To start the connection, I need you to click the link below. http://www.justanswer.com/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=ddcae942-cee4-4fd3-8d5e-7965e2bacef8&Type=Java Download install and run that program. Once you open and run the file, it will connect us. If you encounter any issues , or error messages let me know. D.S
After connecting. And running through many steps. Discovered that this was an unresolvable issue. Garmin express program isnt scaling properly when viewed on smaller screen yosemite macs. We tried changing the global display setting to no avail. This link will help you request a refund. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-can-i-request-refund I wish you the best, and thank you for your patience. Dustin S.
Dustin, Senior Technician