GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

The watch is not functioning properly. I have tried master

Customer Question
reset. I get to the...
The watch is not functioning properly. I have tried master reset. I get to the point where I have chosen reset but the OK/Menu button no longer works.
Is there any ways to fix this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
6/29/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.
May I ask the Make & Model Number of this device?
May I also ask the AGE of the device and WHEN this issue first began?
Thanks
Garmin Approach S1
Purchased September 2013
Issue started about one week ago
?Model###-##-####
OK - very good.
Let me send you the "soft reset" and the Master Reset procedures that I have - so that you can see if they are any different from what you did AND try them - to see if you can get the device to reset in one of these procedures.
To Soft Reset the Approach:
=======================
- Press and hold Light/Power
- Wait until screen goes blank (approximately 10 seconds)
- Release Light/Power
- Press and hold Light/Power
- When the device powers on, release Light/Power
The Approach will now restart. If the device is still unresponsive, connect the watch to the computer and then follow the above steps again.
=======================
To Master Reset the Approach (S1):
===========================
- Power the Approach off (Press and hold LIGHT/POWER button until device powers off)
- Press and hold DOWN
- Press LIGHT/POWER
- Release DOWN and LIGHT/POWER when screen displays Clear user data?
- Select Yes
The device should now be reset to default factory settings, and the device should function as expected
===========================
Please give BOTH of these procedures a try and let me know the results.
Thanks, ***** *****
I have tried both these procedures. On the first the devise returns in Watch time mode and I can't change this mode.
On the second I get to the Yes stage. Usually it is necessary to push the OK/Menu button to activate the Yes. This is not working.I tried Pressing the Up and Down buttons but this only changes Yes to No and reverse.
It appears as if the Ok/Menu button has a fault.
Hi again,
I would tend to agree - that the OK/Menu button is the issue.
Can you tell me if that button "feels" like it is moving "smoothly" and to the bottom of its travel (when compared to the other buttons)?
I know that might be hard to judge, but please take a little time to compare the feel of ALL the buttons, and let me know what you think *& feel).
Thanks
The Up/Down buttons have a firm click that doesn't require much pressure but the OK button does not have the same feel.
Hi again,
OK - that is what I suspected. These units sometimes get little bits of "dirt" into the buttons, and ultimately INSIDE, and sometimes blocks or breaks the contacts underneath the buttons.
Now what SOMETIMES works to clear this up is to take a small amount of alcohol (rubbing alcohol), place it in a container where it is deep enough to JUST cover the buttons - when EACH BUTTON is dipped into the container, and then dip that OK button in the alcohol a few times.
Then push the OK button a few times and see if you can FEEL a difference in the feel. It may take server tries, but the idea is to "free up" the button, and perhaps clean off any "dirt" that may have gotten inside the watch.
NOTE: you will want to switch OFF the watch - if you can - while doing this "cleaning". AND WAIT a few minutes for the alcohol to evaporate - before trying to switch the watch back on.
If you have these materials, please give that a try and let me know your results - when you can.
Thanks
Ok
Will try this. Not sure if I have the rubbing alcohol handy.
No worries - take as long as you need. I'm here for at least another hour or so, and then again tomorrow.
NOTE: If this is not successful, repair by Garmin may be the only option left to us. If that becomes necessary, I have the customer support contact numbers below - so you can get a quote for such a repair.
Garmin Australasia
Australia Customer Support: 1800 235 822
Australia Fax Number: 02 8882 6150
New Zealand Customer Support: 0800 427 652
New Zealand Fax Number: 0800 427 646
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi Greg
Unfortunately the rubbing alcohol procedure was unsuccessful.
Can't imagine it will be economic in getting Garmin to repair it as it is out of warranty. Tried calling - they think they can keep you on hold for 15 minutes and get business!!!
Hi again,
I understand - the support folks can get very busy at times.
As for cost, here in the states, the flat rate repair for this particular device is about half the cost of a new one - if you can find one for sale (the newer "S" models are more popular - and more expensive). So if they have a similar deal on your side of the world, it might be worth the wait on hold.
You may want to keep trying that OK button - to see if it will operate again, but I wouldn't have high hopes for that working in the long term.
Please let me know what you decide or if you have any more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
I finally got through to Garmin and have arranged a replacement (reconditioned) watch for $84 plus postage. Unseen, they agreed that there was likely to be a faulty button. He said this was quite rare as they are meant to be quite robust. I hope so!
Hopefully will get replacement in 2-3 weeks.
ThanksGreg.
You are quite welcome and thanks for letting me know what happened.
I don't know what the conversion rate is between US & AUS dollars, but that sounds like it is about "half-price" of what a new device would cost, which sounds about right.
Please let me know how it goes and if you have any more questions.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this issue.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi Greg,
Could you please advise me of any charges.CheersGreg
Hi again,
We experts here don't have access to any deposit that may have been made. But if you would like to compensate me for my time, a rating of "Good" (or above) will do that.
If you have any concerns about any details of your account, including any deposit (or charges), you should be able to see those details in your "account screens" here. The link below may also help.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
Please let me know if you have any more questions about your watch.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi Greg,
Clearly I am struggling with this.
In my initial question I made it clear I had already tried and failed at a master reset and indicated I believed it to be the Ok/Menu button.
Despite this you suggested a soft reset and a master reset. I indicated that I already had done that but would try again. I had the same result with failure attributed again to the OK button.
You then agreed with my diagnosis and suggested a rubbing alcohol procedure that sometimes works with the buttons. This failed.
I am therefore struggling to see the value of the advice (which was repeating what I had done and agreeing with my diagnosis) apart from the failed rubbing alcohol procedure.
I was not clear on the payment requirements so probably would not have gone the route of getting Garmin to provide a reconditioned replacement as, including the payment, I could have purchased a new device.RegardsGreg.
Hi again Greg,
I understand. Many folks are "not clear" about the payments on this site, and that it is a "pay for advice/help" site.
As for my troubleshooting "process" and advice, I usually like to "start at the beginning" and "double-check" that you have tried the EXACT same procedures that I use.
The "alcohol tip" is one of the processes I have used in the past that has worked, but it is not 100% of the time (nothing really is), so it was worth a try.
As for the site, there is a "satisfaction guarantee".
I do of course hope that my advice DID help in one way or another, and did/does have value. But it is your choice as to how you rate MY advice and help, or if you even rate at all.
You may find more advice and details about how the site works, at the link I gave above (and will post again below).
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help
I leave the choice of rating up to you.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer