GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I tried to update a Magellan Roadmate 1700 with Content Manager…

Customer Question
I tried to update a...
I tried to update a Magellan Roadmate 1700 with Content Manager and it no longer boots to the menu of the GPS
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
6/28/2015
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Senior Technician
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Lets try the following, remove the Sd card from the roadmate. Remove the content manager file from the SD card.
Now, install content manager on your computer from here
http://www.magellangps.com/contentmanager
Download it, install it, and then run the content manager. Then, connect your magellan to your computer using its usb cable and turn it on.
Will the PC version of content manager recognize the magellan?
( please respond whether this works, or fails. And let me know exactly what happened. I may need to connect to your computer in order to access the Magellan 1700 and fix its directory )
Dustin S.

I have tried both Windows and Mac from the address you gave above, and out of 3 different computers (2 macs, 1 windows) none will recognize the Magellan when it is connected via USB. One macbook air, will see the Magellan as an attached drive, but the Content Manager software will not recognize the device.

Trying to load the content manager onto an SD card and t hen into the magellan most likely damaged the file directory of the magellan itself. We could try a simple reset on the magellan, but I dont think that alone will do the trick. To do t he simple reset, slide the power button to the right ( the reset position ) and hold it there in the reset position for 1 minute solid. Then, see if the device will start normally. ( if so we may be able to detect it, or change the storage mode settings on the device to get the mac to detect it ) Keep me posted~ Dustin S.

Yes, I have tried the reset, if I insert the Content Manager update SD card, the Magellan says it has already been upgraded. I think the real problem is most of the documentation says to let the Magellan boot before trying to connect to a PC, but it never fully boots. I just get the spinning wheel until the screen on the GPS goes blank.

Have you tried the reset for a full minute. without it being connected to the PC / Mac ? Have you tried the reset with it being connected to the PC / mac Have you tried the reset with the sd card inserted, and have you tried it without the SD card inserted?

Yes, I just tried most of those, no change. But I cannot try the reset with the SD Card inserted, it is missing at the moment, I'll have to get another one.

Is there a way to make an SD card that the GPS will boot onto without the Content Manager update? Like booting a PC to an external drive?

From one laptop I do have access to the contents of the GPS file system. I can see files that indicate:

APPtnErrorlog1.dat

Failed to InitialPlatform.mgnArielManager.cpp

VerifySecurityFailed mgnManager.cpp

...

Unit_ID.dat

OS version=11.00.06.0117

Firmware version=4.93

Navigator version=4.82

Major map version=0

Minor map version=0

...

I can see MAP_V45_09.md5 files on the device from the time we did the Content Manager update, but the files in the MAP subdirectory are all dated older other than one: AAA_TB_POI.poi which is just a points of interest list I assume. Most files are dated Jul 2009, or Jan 1,2000 which I assume means they didn't have a date.

Understood. That computer is going to be the one that we may be able to make some progress from. I dont want to leave you hanging.. I need to take a short break, and I need to try and find a full copy of the firmware / software that we can attempt to load onto the Magellan, using the one computer that can see it. This may take some time, I will update you within an hour and a half to two hours whether or not Ive been able to locate the files we need. Dustin S

No worries, we are headed to an afternoon with my parents who are visiting, it is my fathers GPS I was trying to update. They are flying out tomorrow, and we wanted to spend time with them. I'll be back online this evening, take your time. I can mail it back to them so their flying out isn't a pressure.

Understood, and I wouldnt want to take time away from family especially when everyones traveled so far . Please dont feel you have to respond to this message, or my follow up message. ( until you have time t his evening or this week ) Dustin S.

Does the Roadmate 1700 have a unique USB cable? I am using a standard mini-USB cable after checking the Magellan site and it said standard USB 2.0 cables will work. But I see specific cables for sale for the Roadmate 1700. I tried 2 different cables and get the same results. I know one of them works to update a TomTom that I did at the same time.

I found the SD card and put it in, reset for 1 minute, and the message is: "Your device is already Mac compatible. This update is not necessary. Please unplug the SD card and select OK"

Thats worth a shot. ( the cable ) http://amzn.to/1C1e2b6 As far as the update, sounds like its already installed. ( and I assume the magellan still wont boot when its detached from the computer )

The cable didn't improve anything. The Magellan will not boot detached or otherwise. It will not communicate with Content Manager.

I am ready to give up and just get a newer device. Between this cost and the map update, I am not far away.

I won't get another Magellan.

I understand your frustration.. Not working for magellan directly, I dont have to up-play there products. What I can say is that Garmin and navigon both have their issues and flaws.. In my opinion you have to expect devices to fail at some point so it should come down to a choice of what device works better for you. Myself, Im fond of the Nuvi 50 series, simple to use, easy to read maps and directions.. Lifetime free map updates.Heres a newer model for 150$ with lifetime maps. http://amzn.to/1Kwz8PO And an older model for 100$ with lifetime maps http://amzn.to/1RUcjpE
Dustin, Senior Technician