GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

Devic e turned off at high temp. How to reset?

Customer Question
Devic e turned off at...
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
6/28/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask for a bit more detail about this issue?
For example:
1) For HOW LONG was the device at a "high temp"?
2) What is the AGE of the device?
3) HOW was the device "cooled down", and for what period of time?
4) Did the device display a message that it was shutting down before it actually turned OFF, or did it just turn off?
Thanks
1 Unknown, but certainly a few hours.
2 3+ years
3 Brought in to house at 70 F and remained over night.
4 Turned off automatically.
Hi again and thanks for that information.
OK - the MAIN concern here is the "condition" of the battery inside the unit, and whether or not it can still be charged up enough to power the device.
So once it had cooled down overnight, did you connect it to a charger of some kind and let it charge for AT LEAST an hour or so?
Thanks
Yes, still does not work.
Hi again,
Sorry for any delay.
OK - I will assume that you tried to charge the device over that 3 hours or so since our last communication, so please remove the device from any charging connector, and push and HOLD the power switch for 30-60 seconds - to see if anything happens (if the screen comes on).
If the screen does NOT come on, then you could have either a worn out battery (from age and exposure to extreme temperature) - OR - there could be other damage to some of the internal components.
So please try that holding of the power switch, and let me know what happens.
Also, can you tell me if this is a a Nuvi that came with "lifetime map" updates? I only ask so I can check on repair cost - IF it does have internal damage.
I will also check to see if a replacement battery is available, in case you want to try and replace that - to TRY and get the device going again.
Thanks
(im)
Hi again,
From the symptoms you describe and the AGE of your device, I would conclude that either the internal battery is worn out, and will need to be replaced - OR - the device will need to be repaired (if there is internal circuit damage).
So it looks like we are down to 2 or 3 options, which are:
1) Acquire a replacement battery and install it yourself (or with the help of a friend) OR
2) Send the unit in to Garmin for repair - at a "flat rate" OR
3) Replace the unit with a newer model.
With option 1, you can get replacement batteries at various sites on the internet OR perhaps locally if you have a shop that sells a LOT of GPS units. I have a link (below) to Amazon that has a "kit" that includes the battery, the hand tools to do the job and a link to a video that shows how the job is done (so you can judge if this is something you can do).
Replacement Battery Kit (use link below)
http://amzn.to/1SVNZpI
Here is the video that shows how that is done --> Click link below
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVYyU1I3_98
For option 2, you can contact Garmin support and have your unit repaired for a "flat rate". I just checked the rate, and as of right now, it is at least $89, plus the cost to ship the unit to them. This option has the advantage that the Gamin repair center will do the work, plus they have a 90 day warranty on the work that is done. There is no such warranty on any work that you may do yourself. If you would like to take this option, I have a link to where you can start the process below.
Click here --> Garmin Out of Warranty Repairs
http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
Once on that page, simple select your unit model (Nuvi 3790) from the pull-down list to get your quote, then scroll down the page to contact support and arrange to have the work done.
The current time to repair or replace a unit is about 1 week, but that could be shorter or longer depending on your location and shipping method you choose to ship the unit in.
One other note about Garmin repair: The repair center will often return a different serial number unit to you if they have them in stock, for speed. If you want to have your specific unit repaired and returned, please make sure you mention that specifically when arranging for the repair. That may also add a bit of time to the process, typically one or two extra days.
For option 3, I would recommend "searching" Amazon to find the currently available devices and their prices. Often Amazon will list the best prices, and then you can check the local stores to see if they have the same device at a similar price. If it is more expensive locally, you can ASK if they will "price match" what you found online, so that you will buy it from their store.
I hope this helps. Please let me know what you decide or REPLY if you have more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer