GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a 50LM that was purchased almost 2 years ago. It has…

Customer Question
I have a 50LM that...
I have a 50LM that was purchased almost 2 years ago. It has worked great until recently when it started reacting very slow. Like it has a bug or something. Can this be corrected?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
6/28/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask if it still "works" properly, but just slow?
May I also ask if you have updated the MAPS on the device recently, and not just the software?
If so, did you happen to notice how much FREE MEMORY there is in the device?
Thanks
Maps and software are up to date. Let me check free memory.
Very good.
One more question: Have you installed an SD card (memory) in the device yet?
1.7 GB available. No need for SD card.
Touch screen is sometimes unresponsive or extremely slow in reacting.
Hi again,
OK - you may want to consider an 8GB microSD card for holding the maps. That allows the device itself to have MORE FREE SPACE to "operate" from, and should make it work faster.
BUT, until you get that card, you should be able to do a "Master Reset" - to clear out all the old "log files".
Do you know how to do a Master Reset?
AND - have you backed up any Saved Favorites that you may have?
Thanks
Do not know how to do Master Rest but have backed up files. Can buy a 8GB card and try that. Just never thought I needed to.
Hi again,
OK - let me explain a little bit about WHY I believe these devices "slow down" over time.
As you may know, the Nuvi 50 is part of the "Essential series" of devices ... meaning that they are not a "powerful" and don't have a few of the "fancy options" that the more advanced (and expensive) devices have.
And one of the MAIN things that is missing is a screen and control to erase all the "trip logs". You may have found a screen that allows you to SHOW or HIDE the trip logs (the little BLUE lines that show where you have driven), but the logs are NOT erasable from any screen.
So to erase (delete) the trip logs that accumulate, a Master Reset is needed.
Also, I will assume that you have backed up your favorites ONLY - and not the entire device. Garmin Express (the current update tool) allows you to do that, so the favorites can be restored - once the Master Reset is done.
Let me send this, and I will go get the instructions to do a Master Reset on the device (its easy).
Thanks
OK, I found the master reset on UTube and have done that. How do I reinstall favorites?
Hi again,
I have a link to a video that shows how to do the reset below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mujdSP-fM98
NOTE: What is NOT clear in that video is that you want to start with the device OFF
- AND -
Disconnected from any power source.
I would also TEST the device for operational speed AFTER the reset and BEFORE restoring any data you backed up - just to make sure you have some kind of improvement (like when you first got the device).
It MAY take a couple of resets to clear out the data and allow the device to "reorganize" its internal memory, so feel free to do the reset again - if the first TEST afterwards does not show much improvement.
I hope this makes sense and helps. Please let me know your results or if you have more questions.
Thanks, ***** *****
P.S. If you can't find an 8GB microSD card locally, I have a link to Amazon, where you can find them.
http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k
How do I restore favorites after reset?
Hi again,
If you backed up your favorites in Garmin Express, there should be a RESTORE option - in the same screen where you did the backup.
Let me review my Garmin Express program and see if I can give you more detail from one of my backed up devices. This may take some time as I have to switch computers.
Let me know if you can find it in the mean time.
Thanks
Got it. Thanks. Will try it tomorrow.
You are quite welcome.
Just make sure that you do your backup FIRST - before the reset. And TESTING BEFORE the restore is good too.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
And when you are ready, please take a moment to rate my service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you today.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.
Thanks, ***** *****
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg: Looks like I paid you $34 a month ago and have you working on the same issue again. Finally got new card. Had to switch to my other GPS when I went to SC because it's still very slow.
Hi again,
I see you made a deposit a month ago, but can not see the total (we experts have no access to that information).
May I ask what type and capacity memory card you got, and if you did anything with it or the device, since we last spoke?
Thanks
(im)
Do I still have a $34 deposit from our last conversation?
Hi again,
As I mentioned, I can not see any of your personal account information.
BUT, I have not seen you rate my service at "Good" or above - which is what credits me for my work.
So I would assume that YOU can still see that in your account.
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer