Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

When I power down, my Garmin 510 is defaulting to metric units

Customer Question

When I power down, my Garmin 510 is defaulting to metric units and won't keep my manual resets to statute miles, Fahrenheit, etc. Any procedure I can run on my mac to help?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
A master reset is going to delete all your personal data, keep that in mind. But it should fix the issue.
Heres how to complete the master reset.
To perform the master reset:
Power device off
Press and hold Lap and Start/Stop
Power device on while still holding both buttons
Continue holding buttons when the Garmin “splash” screen appears
Release buttons when Garmin “splash” screen disappears
The Edge is now reset if the device finishes powering up and goes to the setup wizard. Try the steps again if the setup wizard does not appear.
Leave the device outside with a clear view of the sky for a minimum of 20 minutes to acquire satellite data.
When it boots up, it should act like it was just pulled from the box. Complete the initial setup, and let me know whether its still having the same issue, or if the problem is solved.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No luck. Tried this several times. I think I need to clearr out the memory and factory settings and re-program the device
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Last year Garmin Help Desk said I would have better luck reprogramming my 510 on a Windows PC. Do you know of the mac procedure?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No word from you. Please credit my account if the charge was made.
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. Ive just started my shift for the day.
If you want to request a refund, Id understand that.. If you want to discuss further ways to fix the garmin device, send a reply saying you want to continue. ( I will be on shift for the next 13 hours..)
Dustin S.