GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

How do I update my garmin nuvi that I attach to my cars wi…

Customer Question
how do I update my...
how do I update my garmin nuvi that I attach to my cars windscreen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
May I ask the Model of your Nuvi?
May I also ask the AGE of the device?
Thanks
i think the model no. is n20233.
Aprox. 5 to 6 yrs
Hi again,
Do you have the device with you now?
If so, the model number SHOULD be printed on the device somewhere, like on the back - right after the word Nuvi.
OR - if you can find the Serial Number and send it back to me (usually printed right next to a BAR CODE or QR Code), then I can find the model from that.
Thanks
yes I have itthe only no on the unit is the one that I sent youNo barcode
Hi again,
OK - let me ask if the unit still powers ON - and STAYS ON for at least 15 minutes - when it is NOT connected to the vehicle power adapter?
I ask this because the AGE of the device may cause the battery to be getting weak, and we NEED a good condition battery to be able to update the device.
By the way, the model numbers of units of that age are usually 3-4 digits long, and may have a letter AT THE END - such as "W" for a Wide format device.
Thanks
Hi again,
I didn't see a response from my last note, but I wanted to send along my "recommended procedure" for updating maps on almost any Garmin Nuvi. Depending on the model, when I mention the SD card, that could be a microSD, but the concept is the same.
Also, any link provided to SD cards is for EXAMPLE ONLY, and you may have to get such cards from a local resource.
===============================
How to Update Garmin Nuvi Maps.
===============================
What is needed?
1) A WORKING device with some previous version of maps installed.
2) A computer and USB cable (to be able to connect the device to the computer).
3) An SD card (or microSD & SD adapter) of 4GB or 8GB (maximum) capacity. This MAY be optional, but is HIGHLY recommended. A link to where you can get an 8GB SD card is listed in the "resources" section below.
4) A current copy of "Garmin Express" installed on your computer. This is Garmin's recommended program (tool) for doing any updates, including device software AND maps. If you need to get a copy of Garmin Express, use the link below.
Click Here --> http://software.garmin.com/express.html
How is it done? Steps to Update device software and Maps.
==========================================================
Step 1) FULLY charge your device and then TEST it - without being connected to the charger or power adapter. This is to TEST the battery life of the device, as there are portions of this procedure (unit software update) that NEED the battery to be in good shape to successfully update your device. Once you confirm that the device will successfully operate for at least 15-20 minutes, then it should be safe to move on - AFTER FULLY charging the device again.
Step 2) Once the device is charged up again, you are ready to check and update the unit software ONLY! This is prepare the device with any updates that may be needed to recognize the SD card that is to be inserted in the next step, and to be able to store the updated map data on that card.
Step 2a) Connect the fully charged device to your computer via the USB cable and WAIT. After a few seconds (or perhaps minutes), the computer SHOULD recognize the device as a "removable storage" device, and allow you to "see the device" as such. NOTE: If the computer asks you if you want to "fix" the storage device in any way, respond by saying NO! You do NOT want to change the device at all right now, but just have it recognized and seen by the computer.
Step 2b) Start the Garmin Express program and make sure it "sees" your device. Once it does, the program SHOULD open in the "Updates" tab, and show you any updates that are available to the unit software and or maps. Do NOT try any map updates just yet, as all we are interested in at this time is the unit software.
Step 2c) Go ahead and load any need software updates, and give PLENTY of time for the updates to successfully load onto the device. Now this next part is CRITICAL ... When the program says it is OK to remove the device from the computer, WAIT an extra 60 seconds to make SURE all the software is written to the device. After this wait, remove the device from the USB cable and allow it to reboot. Allow it to power up if it does that "automatically", and let it settle on the main screen. Then take a quick look at the "Where To?" and "View Map" screens, just to make sure they can be reach without any issue. Then power the device OFF and back ON again, and check the rest of the screens - just to make sure they still work.
Step 3) Now power the device OFF, and insert the SD card. The card SHOULD go in easily - with a firm push and should "latch" into place, so do NOT force the card in.
Step 4) Reconnect the device to the USB cable and run Garmin Express again - to get the map updates.
NOTE: This can take a LONG time - depending on your internet and computer speed.
Step 4a) Find and click on the "Map Update" section in Garmin Express. If you do not have prepaid updates available, maps can be purchased directly from Garmin Express.
Step 4b) Run the download and install section of the program, and allow plenty of time for the maps to transfer to your device.
When the program says it is OK to remove the device from the computer, WAIT an extra 60 seconds to make SURE all the software is written to the device. After this wait, remove the device from the USB cable and allow it to reboot.
Once all this is done, TEST the device again - to make sure all is well with the new maps and the device.
Resources:
Examples of 8GB SD cards listed on Amazon. (use link below)
Click Here --> http://amzn.to/1MIsupu
NOTE: These are the results of a "search" on Amazon. Please select a GOOD quality card, as you will need this to work for some time (don't "go cheap" on the card that will be holding your data).
Please let me know what you find once you have the Garmin Express program installed on your computer and the device connected via a USB cord.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer