GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

Greg.do you have any experience with Garmin forerunner 210?

Customer Question
hi Greg.do you have any...
hi Greg.do you have any experience with Garmin forerunner 210? I have one that is dead and will not charge. turn on or is not detected by my computer.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
6/17/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 2 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

Yes, I have a bit of experience with these devices.

May I ask the AGE of the device and WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

The watch is exactly 80 weeks old. This happened on the 1st of June last. It had turned off due to low battery. I turned it on the night before a race and got a low battery warning. It powered off. I Got my charger and before I connected it I powered the watch on again. Again I got a low battery warning before it powered off again. I connected it to the charger, but no charging icon came on the screen. I tried charging, every master reset combination I could find online, connecting it to my computer but all to no avail. the computer does not recognize the device. I tried charging with a friends charger (that definitely works) but this did not work either.

Hi again and thanks for that detailed information.

OK - may I ask if you had previously worn the watch AND if you had cleaned the charging contacts - with a bit of alcohol and a cotton bud (Q-tips here in the U.S.)?

I only ask because I would think the battery would be "OK" (still working & rechargable) at 80 weeks (about 1.5 years).

Thanks

Yes, I had worn it before and used it at least once to twice a week. I used to wipe the watch down after a run with a damp cloth. I have cleaned both charger and watch contacts. no change.

Hi again,

Sorry for any delay - I got cut off for a bit.

OK - I would recommend the cleaning with alcohol & cotton bud, and then try to charge again - at least for a couple hours.

If that doesn't work, then you may have a flat battery, and the watch will need to be serviced - either by a local repair shop or by Garmin. This assumes that you do NOT want to take the watch apart yourself and try to replace the battery.

There are some places online that sell the batteries, and perhaps a set of instructions for doing the job - if you want to try that. I will have to look to see if I can find the instructions and battery that needs to be purchased to do that.

Please let me know if you can try the alcohol cleaning - or something else.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Hi Greg. have tried isopropyl alcohol wipe on both charger and watch contacts with no effect.

I notice a very low volume high pitch whine from the watch after disconnecting the watch from the charger. This stops when I try master reset. I have to have watch up to my ear to hear this.

In relation to changing the battery, I don't want to go down this route unless I am reasonably sure it is the battery is a fault. Although I had noticed the battery was not lasting as long as when the watch was new. But i'm sure the same can be said for nearly all rechargeable batterys.

Could this indicate a battery problem? I read on a website offering a battery change service that if the watch does not power up when connected to charger that it indicates the fault is not the battery.

Have you any opinion on this?

Hi again,

Yes, I have seen similar services offered online - for replacing the battery in these devices. That may be a good option, of you can get it less than the cost of a "flat rate" repair by Garmin. I will include the Garmin contact information at the end of this note, if you want to give them a call and see what they will quote for such a repair.

As for rechargeable batteries and their "lifetime" in different applications, I have run across EXCELLENT batteries - that last for years and years - and I have experienced batches of batteries that don't last very long at all (less than a year really). And these have been across product lines, from computer, to cell phone, to cordless phones, and of course GPS watches.

What tends to effect the battery life most - at least in my experience - is HOW it is treated (charging cycles, exposure to moisture, heat, cold, etc.). Batteries tend to "like" being treat like us humans - where they (and we) are "recharged" on a regular basis, and kept at temperatures and moisture levels that we humans are comfortable in.

And yes, a "whining watch" could be an indicator of a bad battery, and the circuits are making this noise when either TRYING to use the battery OR charge it up.

So you may want to contact Garmin and see what they can do for you and at what cost - compared to the other offerings out there. ONE NOTE about that: When Garmin does the work, they also offer a 90 day warranty extension to the device AND it WILL WORK when you get it back. Most other places do not offer such a warranty, so be sure to check.

=======================================
Garmin Support - United Kingdom

For all of United Kingdom users and customers in unlisted countries in Europe, Africa and Middle East
Monday - Friday: 8:30 AM - 17:30 PM Western European Time (GMT/UTC)
Phone (freephone from UK landline): 0808(###) ###-####br/>Phone (within UK): 0870(###) ###-####br/>Phone (outside UK): +44(###) ###-####br/>
UK

For UK customers in unlisted countries in Europe, Africa and the Middle East.

Monday–Friday: 8:30 AM–5:30 PM Western European Time (GMT/UTC)
Phone (freephone from UK landline): 0808(###) ###-####br/>Phone (within UK): 0870(###) ###-####br/>Phone (outside UK): +44(###) ###-####br/>========================================

Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)
Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Hi Greg,

I am sorry for the delay in responding but I am currently awaiting delivery of a replacement battery for the device.

I will then be able to give feedback.

I am expecting delivery this week.

Best regards,

Ken

No worries Ken - take as much time as you need.

NOTE: This system here sometimes sends out "reminders" every few days - when the question is still active. Please don't let any such reminders pressure you.

I will look for your results later this week.

Best Regards, ***** *****

(im)

Hi Greg,

I have replaced the battery in the unit but have had no success. I have verified that my battery module functions correctly by powering a friends Garmin 210 with it and have tried their (charged) battery module in my watch.

The watch still wont power on. I still get a 4 second long high pitch whine with very low volume as before. It sounds to me like the nose from a capacitor charging. My friends gamin does not make this noise when powering on ( Tones set on or off).

I visually inspected the Pcb in my watch but cannot see anything obvious like a failed of discolored component, although the surface mount components are very small.

Have you any idea as to what the root cause could be or has anybody else out there come across this problem before and what was the solution?

Best regards,

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks for letting me know your results.

That continued "whining" could be an indicator of a bad capacitor (or similar component), probably somewhere in the circuits either TRYING to use the battery OR charge it up.

And yes, the tiny surface mounted components can be very hard to get at - and TEST. When I work on this size stuff, I often use a "microsope" or "magnifier" of some kind, and of course the appropriate lighting. I have even found poor solder joints using those tools.

Unfortunately, I don't have a schematic or even a block diagram if the components on the watch, as once the folks I work with determine the issue is "on the board" so to speak, the board gets replaced (if available) or the entire watch goes back for repair or replacing.

So if you have some HIGH POWER magnifying tools, you may want to look around to see if you can find any poor connections that can be corrected. Otherwise it would need to be sent in for repair - if available.

Please let me know what you find and what you decide to do.

Best Regards, *****

(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer