Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

When I plug in my garmin forerunner 205 it does not show up

Customer Question

when I plug in my garmin forerunner 205 it does not show up on my PC and I don't know how to get my data out of it
Category: GPS
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
I am Pete, and I'll be happy to assist with your question today.
If the Forerunner is not detected by several different PC's, then try using a different USB cable.
Let me know if that works...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have tried a different cable. I even purchased a different cradle that the watch sits in. The Garmin just doesnt show up as a mass storage device on any computer i have connected it to. I also, in the past, have tried what I believe was called a soft boot to reboot the watch but the data is kept.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok, another possibility is that the connection port on the watch is not working correctly - there are 4 tiny gold pads inside the connector; 2 are used for charging and 2 are used for data transfer.
Check for any lint or other debris that may be stuck in the mini USB port on the watch. You can use compressed air to help clean it out.
If it still won't work, then the mini USB port may be worn out and will need replacing.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Pete... sorry for the delay. I had to buy some compressed air this weekend. Unfortunately it still doesn't work. The computer makes a sound when the USB is plugged in and I wait (often other USB devices show up as a hard drive after a minute). I tried changing the drive letters on other devices (I have 4 built in card readers and an external USB drive). I changed their drive letters as I read that sometimes the new device might be trying to use the letter of an existing drive.As far as the USB port being worn out, i tried that early on as i replaced the cradle the watch sits in (it has the mini usb port on the side) when it first stopped working. Do you have any other thoughts?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Ok, the only other possibility could be that your computer doesn't have the latest USB drivers installed.
Try installing the USB drivers from here:
http://www.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=591