GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

How do I get map upgrades to drive by on my Garmin255w on…

Customer Question
How do I get map...
How do I get map upgrades to drive by on my Garmin255w on my computer to use in my car??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
6/13/2015
Electronics Technician: Dustin, Senior Technician replied 2 years ago
Dustin, Senior Technician
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
To upgrade the maps on your garmin 255w, you first need to download and install the free garmin express program onto your windows, or mac computer.
You can download it from here.
http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html
Once downloaded and installed, you need to run the garmin express program.
Then, you need to connect the 255w to your computer and turn it on. Garmin express should recognize it, and ask you to register it.
Once connected. You can then purchase the map upgrade you want from garmin as a download.
To do so, you would go here
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/maps/updates/
and click I need to purchase an update. It will recognize your device, and allow you to purchase a one time update. ( should be 49.99 )
Then, it will download that update to garmin express, and allow you to update the maps on your garmin.
if you get stuck at any point please send a reply and I will assist you further as needed.
Or, if you prefer. I can connect to your computer from here for a small additional fee. And oversee the entire process, directly installing the program and ensuring that the device updates properly. Let me know if youd like to try that option.
I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a rating of excellent submitted below this answer when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.
Dustin S.
Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.
HI, I seen your duplicate question and had it closed.
As far as free updates, the only garmin devices that are eligible for free updates are the LM or LMT models. For instance, your device would have to be a 255w LM or 255w LMT to receive free map updates.
A quick way to find out if this is the case, is to download and install the g armin express program on your PC. Run that program, and then connect your garmin.
If it says you have a LM or LMT model, your eligible for free map updates!
Regardless of whether you have free updates or need to purchase an update.
**We must** first download and install the garmin express program onto your mac, or PC.
Let me know if you have any questions or run into any issues with the above steps.
Dustin S.
Dustin, Senior Technician