Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I have a Magellan RoadMate 5175T Traveler and time

Customer Question

I have a Magellan RoadMate 5175T Traveler and for some time now it has fixated on the screen a small picture of a computer and the RoadMate connected with an "x" marking the input cable to the computer and a large "x" on the screen of the RoadMate. There is a symbol between the connection that I've seen before but cannot--with my limited understanding of such things--recall. It indicates a three pronged tree facing upwards. That is the best I can describe my situation. I cannot find a way to satisfy and change the screen. What do I do?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
That symbol, which you have described quite well, signifies 'connect your RoadMate device to a computer, by way of a USB cable between the two.'
The forked, or 'three-pronged tree' symbol, is the symbol for USB. You may see it next to some USB ports, if you look closely.
That whole symbol that you see on its screen, means 'connect it to the computer in the hope that it will be repaired by that process'. And/or, 'update it', or 'write an update to the Magellan device'.
Do you, or did you ever, have a Magellan disc for the Roadmate in question? if so, try that in the computer's disc drive, and it may update/repair your Magellan device.
Note: be sure the disc matches your Magellan device's model #. If not, you may ruin the Roadmate device instead of fixing it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where do I obtain a Magellan disc? I have a Mac, is that a problem?
That might be a problem. Let me see if any are still available... it may be, to be quite honest, that such things are not available.
Have you tried simply connecting the Magellan device to the computer? do you have the right USB cable? that will be necessary first and foremost.