Dustin, Senior Technician
Experience:  Giving Directions to wayward GPS devices for over a decade. Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My garmin nuvis 1390 is locked up on can't unlock maps

Customer Question

my garmin nuvis 1390 is locked up on can't unlock maps
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Welcome, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you today!
Question, did you try t o load any new maps yesterday, 3rd party maps, garmin maps, or attempt to update the software?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no, i went to turn it on for sarvice, screen came on and then something like frame, with dot, a a line saying "touch dot (or spot), did that for a while, over and over. stopped, restarted device and all my memory was gone, restarted again and now have the can't unlock maps. is this thing dead and does mean i hane to get a new onw??
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
You dont have to get a new one. What we need to do is connect the device to your computer, via a usb cord. Then, you need to go to this page http://www.poi-factory.com/node/39477 On that page, scroll down to the second post. Where it says here, download either the PC or Mac version. ( if you have windows , download the PC version ) Once downloaded, open that garmin updater program, install it, and run it. It should detect your Garmin device and attempt to update the map and software. Once that has completed. Disconnect the garmin, turn it off. Then turn it on. If you still get the same error, we may need to reset the device. Or manually update your map unlock file. So if this doesnt work, please respond and let me know what happened so we can proceed. Even if this does work, please return and send a reply letting me know that all is well, so I can mark this issue as "resolved" Thank you, *****
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
now it only has the garmin logo and an icon showing a computer pylon , a cable and a GPS device on the screen. gotta go.... on duty..bye
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 years ago.
Thats actually a good sign. The garmin is saying it needs a software update. I realize you cant attend to this issue now, so whenever you have time try to complete the steps below. Connect the garmin to your computer. Now, download and install the Garmin express program You can download it from this page. http://software.garmin.com/en-US/express.html After its been downloaded and installed. Run the garmin express program. It should detect your Garmin device. Ask you to add it, and once added. It should then check for updates and allow you to install them. Once it is checked for updates, click the install updates, or install all option Once all updates have been installed. Disconnect the nuvi , and turn it off, then back on. If its still not working, send a reply and let me know if you were able to complete all the steps above. And if anything differed from the steps I outlined above. I will be working tomorrow, as well as normal business hours during the week. Youre welcome to pick this issue up again at your leisure. Dustin S.