GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

I purchased garmin topo us 100k and topo us 24k southwest 5-6

Customer Question
years ago and installed it...
I purchased garmin topo us 100k and topo us 24k southwest 5-6 years ago and installed it on a 60 csx. I recently purchased an Oregon 600 and tried to load these maps on the 600. I am trying to load the 24k southwest onto my computer and it stops at 57% and just spins the dvd drive. I tried this on my wife's computer with the same result. I recently had to have the hard drive replaced on my machine that I loaded the dvd's onto previously.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: GPS
5/30/2015
Electronics Technician: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Did you wait a sufficient time for the loading from DVD to resume? after it stopped.

It might perhaps have buffered fully, and needed to pause, you see.

There's another possibility: your 24K disc might have a damaged surface. Check the surfaces, inspecting by eye, as to whether there might be a severe enough scratch to destroy some data. Or a spot of (opaque) dirt.

If you wipe the disc(s) off, be sure to wipe *across* the disc, rather than around it. Scratching from wiping, will be less damaging if it is across the disc, rather than along the tracks.

After that... have you tried doing an update with Garmin Express first, on the Oregon device?
When dealing with an update for your Garmin device, it is best to simply download, install, and use Garmin Express.

Go to

http://software.garmin.com/en-GB/express.html

and (if you have a Windows PC) click on the big blue Download button at center bottom of the page. (If you have an Apple, click on the nearby Download for Mac link.) And download Garmin Express' installer to your computer, save it, then double-click upon it to install Garmin Express.
Then start the program, Garmin Express. Then connect your Garmin device. Then use Garmin Express to update your device.
I do not believe this is the problem because I have a 100k us topo and it does the same thing. I beginning to think that Garmin will not allow these disks to be loaded onto 2 different computers. I will contact them to find out.
It's possible that there might be copy-protection, yes. That is sometimes used on pricey CD or DVD data discs. If Garmin thinks so, they will tell you, for sure!If Garmin is not sure about one-computer-only rules for the discs, then, it's quite possible that isn't the problem. (If you're done with this question, please rate my best Answer - favorably I hope - so that I may be paid for the work I have done on your question. Thanks - and, good luck.)
Russell H., Service Tech