GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I paid map update on my Nuvi 3490 but I do not know how

Customer Question
I paid for a map...
I paid for a map update on my Nuvi 3490 but I do not know how to see if it, indeed, downloaded. How do I check?
thank you,
Viola
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: GPS
5/22/2015
Electronics Technician: Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer replied 3 years ago
Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Thanks for the question. I'm Dan.
Please turn the unit on. Now select SETTINGS, then MAP & VEHICLE. Now select MYMAPS. This will show you which maps are installed... you'll be able to see the version and/or date of the map.
Check that, and let me know if you still have questions.
It shows Cnna-Na-Dem
CN North America NT 2012.20 3D
CN North America NT 2012.20 ALL
How old is the unit? How did you go about updating the maps?
I am not sure how old it is. I think I bought it the first year it was available. I have memory problems so I do not remember exactly how I did the download of the update. I did download from a site and my Visa statement shows
Garmin International in Kansas. I am not very computer literate. I am sorry.
I probably bought it in 2012 because I have not update anything since I bought it.
The map that is installed is from 2012, so it has not been updated. You will need to go to www.garmin.com/numaps and then open "myDashboard." From there, you may need to register the device (very easy, just enter your information and the unit's serial number). Then, underneath "Map Updates", click UPDATE NOW and it will walk you through it.
Try that, and let me know how it goes.
I am having problems finding the area Where i put in the my information and the serial #. I want to www.garmin.com/numaps and it tells me to look on the bottom of my device and it should be in a box on the unit. I cannot find it.
Underneath the unit, there should be a small rectangular sticker... usually quite small. Sometimes it's on the back or one of the sides, but the bottom is most common.
Okay I found the serial number. Then it brings up a screen that says available map updates. What next?
That is showing you what updates are available... it's pretty self-explanatory from there... select a map to update, and go from there.
If you have already paid and it asks you to pay again, call them directly at 1-***-***-****. It shouldn't, but you should have the number just in case.
It also has a tab that says device content and it shows no device detected. I have my device plugged into my computer.
What is displayed on the Garmin's screen?
It comes up with the where to? with magnifiying glass and view map with a picture of a GPS.
All current Garmin devices, when connected to a computer, will communicate in either Mass Storage or Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) mode. If the computer is not detecting the Garmin device, there are a few troubleshooting steps that can be done.
1. Unplug the USB cable from the computer
2. Turn the device off and then back on again
3. Plug the USB cable directly into the device and the other end directly into a USB port on the computer and not a hub or docking station
The device should automatically go into Mass Storage or MTP mode, which is indicated by a picture of a GPS device connected to a tower on the Garmin screen.
Then, go back into the website and see if it's recognized now.
I did exactly as you said and the same screen comes up. I am getting a message that it is having trouble finding satellites.
It is now telling that it is working in an indoor mode.
Are you using a USB cable? If so, please try a different one and make sure it's going straight from the unit to your computer.
I am using a USB cable and I just plugged in a different one. Everything is the same. Still shows where to? and view map. My device is connected to a USB cable that is plugged in directly to my computer.
Your computer isn't recognizing the Garmin. Try a different USB port on the computer, or a different computer altogether.
I changed ports. i will have to try my sister's computer. I appreciate your help but I am done for today. If I get her computer to recognize my device, will it be pretty self-explanatory? Have a great Memorial day holiday.
Sorry for my delay in responding, I had to step out.
Yes, once the computer recognizes the Garmin it is self-explanatory. Garmin does a pretty good job at walking you through the process.
I hope that answers your question! If not, just let me know. Also, please take a second to rate the service I provided today, as that is the only way I receive credit for answering questions here. I hope I was excellent, even if the news was not! Thanks!