GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

Im trying to up date anuvi 1300 gps

Customer Question
im trying to up date anuvi 1300 gps
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: GPS
5/20/2015
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 3 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,
Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.
May I ask:
1) the AGE of your device?
2) the operational status of the device before attempting the update?
3) what computer system you have (windows, mac)?
4) What "tool" (program) are you using to attempt this update?
Thanks
2010 yr. great windows #7 gps to comp. nuvi 1300
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi again and thanks for that.
I did not see an answer to:
Does that mean that you do NOT have ANY program loaded on your computer - to attempt this update?
Thanks.
P.S. I'm not able to offer a video call at this time, but can continue here in this format.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.763(###) ###-####
Hi again,
I am currently NOT able to offer you any "additional service" options - like a video or phone call.
But I CAN continue here in this format.
If you would like to do that, please let me know the answer to the following questions:
1) does your computer "see" your device - as a "removable storage" device - when connected via a USB cable?
2) Have you installed ANY program from Garmin to attempt this update?
Thanks
Hi again,
I didn't see a response from my last post, but I wanted to send the following information before I take an afternoon break.
Just so you will have the information, I checked on the current prices for North America maps on the Garmin site, and I found that "Lifetime Maps" for North America are about $90, while the "one time" updates are about $50.
.
I also did a search on Amazon for "Garmin Nuvi" and I saw several newer devices that include the lifetime map updates (look for the "LM" at the end of the model number) for right around $85-$120. I have a link below to those search results.
Click here -->http://amzn.to/19ydk8l (Garmin Nuvi Search Results on Amazon)
.
Considering that you MAY need to find or purchase a 4GB or 8GB SD card to update the maps on your current device, plus go through the process (which I will send you below), it MAY be EASIER and more cost effective in the long term to purchase a newer unit - which will have current maps already installed, and pretty much be ready to go - right out of the box. But let me send along my Recommended Steps - and a brief explanation - on how to update the maps on a Nuvi device - so you will know more about what is involved.
How to Update Garmin Nuvi Maps.
===============================
What is needed?
1) A WORKING device with some previous version of maps installed.
2) A computer and USB cable (to be able to connect the device to the computer).
3) A microSD card (or microSD & SD adapter) of 4GB or 8GB (maximum) capacity. This MAY be optional, but is HIGHLY recommended. A link to where you can get an 8GB SD card is listed in the "resources" section below.
4) A current copy of "Garmin Express" installed on your computer. This is Garmin's recommended program (tool) for doing any updates, including device software AND maps. If you need to get a copy of Garmin Express, use the link below.
Click Here --> http://software.garmin.com/express.html
How is it done? Steps to Update device software and Maps.
==========================================================
Step 1) FULLY charge your device and then TEST it - without being connected to the charger or power adapter. This is to TEST the battery life of the device, as there are portions of this procedure (unit software update) that NEED the battery to be in good shape to successfully update your device. Once you confirm that the device will successfully operate for at least 15-20 minutes, then it should be safe to move on - AFTER FULLY charging the device again.
Step 2) Once the device is charged up again, you are ready to check and update the unit software ONLY! This is prepare the device with any updates that may be needed to recognize the SD card that is to be inserted in the next step, and to be able to store the updated map data on that card.
Step 2a) Connect the fully charged device to your computer via the USB cable and WAIT. After a few seconds (or perhaps minutes), the computer SHOULD recognize the device as a "removable storage" device, and allow you to "see the device" as such. NOTE: If the computer asks you if you want to "fix" the storage device in any way, respond by saying NO! You do NOT want to change the device at all right now, but just have it recognized and seen by the computer.
Step 2b) Start the Garmin Express program and make sure it "sees" your device. Once it does, the program SHOULD open in the "Updates" tab, and show you any updates that are available to the unit software and or maps. Do NOT try any map updates just yet, as all we are interested in at this time is the unit software.
Step 2c) Go ahead and load any need software updates, and give PLENTY of time for the updates to successfully load onto the device. Now this next part is CRITICAL ... When the program says it is OK to remove the device from the computer, WAIT an extra 60 seconds to make SURE all the software is written to the device. After this wait, remove the device from the USB cable and allow it to reboot. Allow it to power up if it does that "automatically", and let it settle on the main screen. Then take a quick look at the "Where To?" and "View Map" screens, just to make sure they can be reach without any issue. Then power the device OFF and back ON again, and check the rest of the screens - just to make sure they still work.
Step 3) Now power the device OFF, and insert the SD card. The card SHOULD go in easily - with a firm push and should "latch" into place, so do NOT force the card in.
Step 4) Reconnect the device to the USB cable and run Garmin Express again - to get the map updates.
NOTE: This can take a LONG time - depending on your internet and computer speed.
Step 4a) Find and click on the "Map Update" section in Garmin Express. If you do not have prepaid updates available, maps can be purchased directly from Garmin Express.
Step 4b) Run the download and install section of the program, and allow plenty of time for the maps to transfer to your device.
When the program says it is OK to remove the device from the computer, WAIT an extra 60 seconds to make SURE all the software is written to the device. After this wait, remove the device from the USB cable and allow it to reboot.
Once all this is done, TEST the device again - to make sure all is well with the new maps and the device.
Resources:
Examples of 8GB microSD cards listed on Amazon. >>Click Here<<.
http://amzn.to/1O4tS7k
NOTE: These are the results of a "search" on Amazon. Please select a GOOD quality card, as you will need this to work for some time (don't "go cheap" on the card that will be holding your data).
I hope this gives you a good idea of the "process" of updating a device, and the steps to "get it done". Please give these things a try and let me know if you have any trouble or more questions about the process.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)
Hi again,
I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.
I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.
Thanks, ***** *****
(im)