GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

My garmin gpsmap 76cx has experienced battery connection failure…

Customer Question
my garmin gpsmap 76cx has...
my garmin gpsmap 76cx has experienced battery connection failure due to corrosion. cantt find anyone to help repair. two of the four are bad . any suggestions would help. I live in key west and there is no one to repair same
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: GPS
5/15/2015
Electronics Technician: Sijad H., Technician replied 3 years ago
Sijad H.
Sijad H., Technician
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
How old is your device?
6 years
O, after doing some research because of the AE of the device there is no longer support for it however I can give you some things to try and clean the device yourself.
To do this, get some cotton swabs or toothbrush dipped in vinegar or lemon juice. The acid from these will help dissolve the corrosion from the device. Scrub with the swap or toothbrush to remove as much corrosion as possible.
Any remaining residue can be removed with baking soda and a tiny bit or water. Again, scrub with the cotton swab or old toothbrush and you will be able to remove any remaining corrosion. Take a damp swab to wipe away any left over baking soda (or other substances) that remain. Allow the device to dry completely before putting in new batteries.
If this gets it back running again, I recommend getting some di-electric grease to put on the contacts to help prevent future corrosion. You can find the grease at any automotive parts store like Autozone.
Give this a try and let me know how it works for you.