GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

My Garmin will not turn on. It was working perfectly fine then

I had it off for...
My Garmin will not turn on. It was working perfectly fine then I had it off for a week and went to turn it back on it the "GARMIN loading maps" page will come on and that's as far as it will turn on. I have tried to plug it in for a few hours and that hasn't worked. I am just wondering if I need to send it in or if there is something else i can do to fix it?
8/29/2012
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your GPS.

May I ask the exact model number of your unit AND the age of the unit?

Can you also confirm that is current behavior is that it comes on and displays "loading maps" and then just gets stuck there?

Thanks

bought it December 2011, S/N 1YSO11042 CAN 310. That is all the information I have on it. That is the current behavior it does not do anything else.

Hi again,

that appears to be a Nuvi 2200 - does that sound correct to you?

I just want to verify that the unit DOES turn on and off, but gets stuck at the initial screen.

Thanks

yes it is a Nuvi 2200. and yes it will turn on and off but only for a few seconds and it will turn off before it gets to the main screen or maps.

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay.

OK - may I ask if the unit has any saved "favorites" stored inside? I only ask because I don't want to erase those by the procedures I plan to give you - to reset the unit.

Thanks

It does not have anything in the favorites. It can be restored!

Excellent - that is what I needed to know.

Here are the reset instructions, and these assume that there is a good level of charge on the unit. So if you have allowed the unit to charge for a few hours - as mentioned above - then this should put the unit back to factory defaults and get it going again. Since you can restore your favorites, don't worry to much about the part where you backup your favorites.

=================================

To perform a master reset on nuvi 2200, 2300, and 2400 series devices:

Note: A master reset will erase all favorites and will restore your device to the default factory settings. If you would like to back up your favorites to your computer, you can find instructions to do so here.

1. Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
  2. Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil (do NOT release pressure on the screen until mentioned below)
  3. Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen while powering the device ON
  4. Release the power button when the device powers ON
    • You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
  5. Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
  6. Touch Yes
    • If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right

The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites. NOTE: This can take up to 15 minutes.

=================================

Please give that a try and let me know what you see along the way - especially if you do NOT see the message about clearing the data.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

thank you i will give it a try and let you know how it works

Hi again,

Sounds like a plan. If at all possible, try to allow the unit to charge for a bit - either from the car power adapter OR by connecting to a computer that is turned ON - via the USB cable. If you use the computer, allow about 1-2 hours of charge time before trying the reset (it takes longer to charge from a computer).

Take Care, Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer

It is not working, It does not do anything when I push the bottom right hand corner of the screen. It will blink the "GARMIN" logo on and off while it is plugged in and that is all it will do

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay.

Did you press and hold the lower right corner of the screen - and keep it held while switching on the unit?

Thanks

yes i did. It didn't even react to it.

Hi again,

OK - That's not good. Let's try a "soft reset" and see if perhaps it is stuck in some condition where it can't read the screen. This has the advantage where you will not need to use the screen to do the procedure.

To do a soft reset, press and hold the power button for 2-3 minutes. Yes, that is a long time and you will probably note that the screen on the unit flash a few times during this process - that is normal for this process. After holding the button down for that long (time it if you can), then release the button and allow the unit to power up.

Next, turn if off and back on again, and see if it fully load and starts up normally - including responding to the screen.

If that does not work - please don't worry as these units all come with a 1 year warranty, and you can get it repaired or replaced under that warranty. I will send along the repair information - if this process does not work.

Thanks, XXXXX

(im)
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer