GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

I have a Go Sat Nav and it won't turn on. Not a power

I have a Tom Tom...
I have a Tom Tom Go Sat Nav and it won't turn on. Not a power problem! I press the on/off button and the screen remains blank
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/9/2012
Bernie
Bernie, GPS Technician
Hello and welcome, my name is***** look forward to assisting you today.

Do you have the exact model of your TomTom GO unit (For example GO 300)?

Thank you and I'll have some steps for you to try.
sorry, I have no idea and there are no brand markings on the machine.
I suspect it is a 300
No problem, take your time with the answer below and remember, if you still need help afterwards, please do not mark Bad or Poor Service. Instead, just click Reply to Expert and let me know, there is no extra charge and we will try another solution if available, thank you.

Remove any SD card from the bottom of the device if you are using one.
Next press or slide the power button and keep it held down until your unit restarts, normally about 15-20 seconds.
Or look for a reset hole on the bottom or side of the unit, and use a paper clip/pin to press the button inside.
Reinsert your SD card if applicable.
Finally take the device to an area with a clear view of the sky and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes to reacquire satellites and stablize its connection.

Please let me know how that goes and we can take further steps if necessary.
that doesnt work, the screen is still blank. There is no reset button that I can see
I see, can you see a reset hole (it's a hole with a tiny button inside, you won't see the button)?

If not, you may not have a 300 model, try just try pressing and holding the On/Off button until your device restarts. This takes at about 20 seconds. Anything on the screen at all then?
the only hole is on the right of the screen and I think that is the microphone.
I have held the on/off switch for 30 secs plus and the screen stays blank
Ok thanks for checking that - I know you said this was not a charging issue but are you abolutely sure, for example, if you plug your GPS into a charger, or via USB cable to the computer, does the charging light on the unit come on at all?

(In fact, do you have a USB cable so we can connect the GPS to a computer and update the internal firmware)?

Thank you for your patience.
Thanks, ***** ***** closing down for the evening and will re try tomorrow.
I have a USB cable and I am sure it is charging ok
Absolutely, to make sure you can return to me and not anyone else or a new session, please favorite or bookmark this page, or you can check your emails from JustAnswer with my picture, in them will be a link to return to this exact page.

I will leave these further instructions for you to try when you get a chance:

If the charging light comes on ok on the unit, you can also try updating the software by clicking HERE. Download and install MyTomTom, then connect your device to the computer to start the update process. After updating the software, disconnect it from the computer and see if it turns on now. If not, please let me know the date you purchased the unit.

If it does turn on now, please take the device to a clear area and let it sit for about 20-30 minutes to reacquire satellites and stablize its connection.

Keep me posted

Thanks,
Bernie
i have tried to connect to Tom Tom Home , something I have done many times before, and it wont connect, says 'no device connected' although the red charging light is on.
i suspect the machine is bust.

do you have any views on the best replacement
I'm sorry to hear this, it's definitely a failure in the main board or display digitizer then, the battery and charger seem to be fine. You do have a few options: If you'd like to have the unit repaired, you can call 1-***-***-****. They can quote you on the repair price if it is out of the warranty (if it's in it will be covered).

Or if going for a replacment model, I highly recommend TomTom START 55 model: LINK

I'm sorry this was not a favorable outcome, sometimes those screens fail and quite suddenly too. If I can be of any further assistance, please ask me anything you need.

Best regards,
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, GPS Technician
Bernie
Bernie
Bernie, GPS Technician