Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching basic and advanced electronic theory for the DoD.
42300671

My Garmin NUVI 1450 is starting to act up. I am wanting to

My Garmin NUVI 1450 is starting to act up. I am wanting to save my GPS points. How do I do that?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm sorry to hear about your GPS.

To backup your favorite places, follow these steps. Note, this is for a PC. If you have a Mac, let me know and I'll send different instructions.

1. Connect the device to your computer via the USB cable
2. Double-click on My Computer
3. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open
4. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder (Note: Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" or "Internal Storage" first, then the GPX Folder)
6. Right-click and copy the Current.gpx file
7. Locate your computer's Desktop
8. Right-click and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto your Desktop.

Then to return them to the device:

1. Right-click on the Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Rename
2. Name the file Current1.gpx and then press Enter
3. Right-click on the Current1.gpx file and select Copy
4. Connect your device to your computer
5. Double-click on My Computer
6. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open
7. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder (Note: Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" or "Internal Storage" first, then the GPX Folder)
8. Right-click and select Paste
9. Disconnect your device from your computer and allow it to boot up (Note: Some devices do not automatically boot up. If your device does not automatically boot up, turn the device on as normal)

If you'd also like to discuss how the unit is acting, let me know!

Best,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan,
I am working on a Mac.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
No problem, Andy. Just a minute.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ok, instructions for your Mac...

1. Connect the device to the Mac using a USB cable
2. Double-click on the Garmin device when you see it mounted to the Desktop
3. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder (Note: Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" first, then the GPX Folder)
4. Right-click and copy the Current.gpx file
5. Right-click on your Mac's Desktop and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto the Desktop

Then to send them back to the device...

1. Right-click on Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Get Info
2. Under Name & Extension, rename the file Current1.gpx and press Enter
4. With Garmin device connected to the Mac, double-click on the Garmin Drive
5. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder (Note: Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" first, then the GPX Folder)
6. Right-click and paste the Current1.gpx file into the GPX folder on your Garmin device

Your favorites will now be restored on your device. Note regarding "right click"... if you're using a Mac with a one button mouse or trackpad, hold the Control button on the keyboard and then click the mouse.

Best,
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan,
The Garmin device has not come up on my desk top. Any ideas???
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
You can also look in Finder.

Did the Garmin power on when you connected it to the USB port?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It did power up, but I can not find it in "finder".
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Some troubleshooting to see if we can get it recognized. In no particular order...

1. Ensure the device is being connected directly to the computer and not through a USB hub
2. Unplug and reconnect the USB Cable to the GPS
3. Try a different USB port on the computer
4. Unplug all other USB devices (Except mouse and keyboard)
5. Restart the computer
6. Try a different USB cable
7. Try a different USB device to see if it is recognized using the same cable
8. Try a different computer if available
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I only have the one USB cable, but it works with other devices and it does power up the Garmin. I get the same results on another Mac laptop.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Interesting. No PC in the house? Cool

Also, tell me more about what the Garmin is doing when it's acting up? That may be playing into this issue.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am not smart enough to drive a PC. The unit will not stay hooked up to an external charger in the car. I have tried different chargers and different sockets, but it still keeps telling me that it has been disconnected. I guess it could be the actual connection to the unit is bad.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yes, that's probable. How old is the unit?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan,
I was able to hold the cable in tightly to the unit and it all came together. Now I have at least saved my information. I wonder if there is a way to save the unit.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the unit can be saved. If its under warranty, it would be free. If it's no longer covered, it would be $110 which includes the repair and the most recent software.

If this is something you want to pursue, your best bet is to call Garmin support at 1-800-800-1020 to set up an RMA (return merchandise authorization).

Once you have received the RMA number, securely package the unit and ship it (insured) to:

Garmin International
1200 E. 151st St.
RMA Number (will be provided by the support specialist)
Dock Door Number (will be provided by the support specialist)
Olathe, KS 66062 USA

Whether or not this is what you wanted to hear, please know I'm here to work with you until you're completely satisfied! So, please don't close this window until you are. Also, please do not hesitate to let me know if you need clarification or if you have any other questions. Thank you!

Best,
Dan T.