GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

My Garmin NUVI 1400 Series states "cant unlock maps" can you

Customer Question
My Garmin NUVI 1400 Series...
My Garmin NUVI 1400 Series states "can't unlock maps" can you help?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: GPS
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/12/2012
Electronics Technician: KKassel, Technician replied 5 years ago
KKassel
KKassel, Technician
Can you get into the main screen?
Right now I am at the screen that has the magnifying glass (where to?) and the map (view map)
OK

go into tools

then map

then make sure the map is checked off, if not we need to reload it
Looks like we need to reload it; still say "no mao data available".....

• Can you press OK and get to the Where To/View map screen?
  • Did you load maps to the unit using the MapSource or MapInstall program?
  • Did you load maps to an SD data card?

If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, please follow the steps below to clear the "Can't Unlock Maps" message:

1. Remove SD card from unit, if applicable.
  2. Plug the unit into your computer with a compatible USB cable.
  3. Open MyComputer/Computer icon. (Mac users skip this step.)
  4. Right-Click on the Garmin drive and select Open. (Mac users can locate the Garmin drive mounted on the Desktop.)
  5. Open the MAP folder.
  6. Locate a file named gmapsupp.img
  7. Right-Click and delete file named gmapsupp.img
  8. Empty the Recycle Bin on your PC or the Trash on your Mac
  9. Safely disconnect your unit from your computer to see if the "Can't Unlock Maps" message is gone

Problem! there is no map folder;the only folders are:

-Garmin

-GPX

-Help

-JPEG

-Keyboards

-Text

-Vehicle

-Voice

-VolumeIcon.icns

-Autorun

-Nuvi_Drive

that is all that is showing! please help!

1. Log into your myGarmin account1
  2. Select myMaps
  3. Below the appropriate device, select the "Details" link
  4. Look for the Unlock Code listed on this page
  5. Copy all the unlock codes for your device
  6. Close your internet browser
  7. Right-Click on your Desktop
  8. Click New and then click Text Document
  9. Double-Click on the newly created Text Document icon from the desktop
  10. Paste or type your unlock codes into the document
  11. Click File and then click Save As
  12. Change the file name to: gmapprom.unl
  13. Change the "Save as type" to "All Files"
  14. Click Save
  15. Close the document (You should see the file gmapprom.unl on your Desktop)
  16. Right-Click on the gmapprom.unl file and then click Copy
  17. Connect your Garmin device to your computer and open Computer/My Computer
  18. Right-Click on the 'nuvi (drive letter:)'2
  19. Click Open
  20. Right-Click on the Garmin folder and click Paste (See Step 21 for instructions specifically if your device is not one of the following: Quest series, StreetPilot series, nuvi 200 series, nuvi 205 series, nuvi 295W, nuvi 300 series, nuvi 465, nuvi 500 series, nuvi 600 series, nuvi 700 series, nuvi 800 series, zumo series 400, zumo 500, zumo 550 and zumo 660)
  21. If your device is not one of the devices listed above, the gmapprom.unl file is required to be placed in the ".System" folder, which is a hidden system folder. In order for you to see the hidden ".System" folder:
    • For Windows XP:
      1. In MyComputer go to the Tools menu and choose Folder Options...
      2. Select the View tab
      3. Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files and folders"
      4. Uncheck the box next to "Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)"
      5. Click OK
    • For Windows Vista & Windows 7:
      1. In the Computer window go to the Organize menu and choose "Folder and search options"
      2. Select the View tab
      3. Select the radio button next to "Show hidden files, folders, or drives"
      5. Click Ok
what do you mean "MyGarminAccount1?
if you never set up a mygarmin account, your not going to be sable to get a code
KKassel
KKassel
KKassel, Technician