GPS

GPS Repair Problems? Ask a GPS Technician for Answers ASAP

GPS

good day Garmin Nuvi 715 touch screen not responding at all. How

Customer Question
good day Garmin Nuvi 715 touch...
good day
Garmin Nuvi 715 touch screen not responding at all.
How do you reset or fix this problem

If I need a new gps how do I transfer all my Saved" favourites" locations to new gps
Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: GPS
5/6/2012
Electronics Technician: Greg A., Engineer replied 5 years ago
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Hello & Welcome,

Sorry I didn't see your question earlier.

I don't see that particular unit listed on the repair list at the garmin. This may be because this particular unit has been listed as "discontinued".

But I do have the instructions for backing up your favorites- if you can still access the unit via a computer and USB cable. The key file that holds all the information for the favorites is name "current.gpx", so you will want to try and locate the file on your current unit, and then copy that file to your computer.

When you get a replacement unit, rename that file to "current1.gpx" (shown in the instructions below) and then copy that to the proper location on the new unit. When you reboot the new unit, the current1 file contents will be added to the new unit.

Depending on the age of the unit, you may want to contact your local Garmin representative to see if it can be repaired and at what cost. Unfortunately, I do not have any contact information for an office in your area, so let me give you the main contact web page for support. >> Click here <<

How to Backup and restore favorites:
======================================

Our nuvi devices allow you the ability to backup the locations saved in the Favorites menu on the device. To backup the Favorites from the Garmin device:

Instructions for a PC:

1. Connect the Garmin device to a computer using a data transfer USB cable.
  2. Double-click on My Computer or Computer.
  3. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open.
  4. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
    • Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" or "Internal Storage" first, then the GPX Folder.
  5. Right-click and copy the Current.gpx file.
  6. Locate your computer's Desktop.
  7. Right-click and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto your Desktop.

To send the file back to the GPS, please follow the steps below:

1. Right-click on the Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Rename.
  2. Name the file Current1.gpx and then press Enter.
  3. Right-click on the Current1.gpx file and select Copy.
  4. Connect your device to your computer.
  5. Double-click on My Computer or Computer.
  6. Right-click on the Garmin device drive and select Open.
  7. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
  8. Right-click and select Paste.
  9. Disconnect your device from your computer and allow it to boot up. Some devices do not automatically boot up. If your device does not automatically boot up, turn the device on as normal.

Your favorites will now be restored on your device. To transfer the saved Favorites from one mass storage device to another, connect the new device to the computer in Step 4 and then follow the remainder of the steps.

Instructions for a Mac:

1. Connect the Garmin device to the Mac using a data transfer USB cable.
  2. Double-click on the Garmin device when you see it mounted to the Desktop.
  3. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
    • Some devices require you to open the folder named "Garmin" first, then the GPX Folder.
  4. Right-click [see note 1] and copy the Current.gpx file.
  5. Right-click [see note 1] on your Mac's Desktop and select Paste to save the Current.gpx file onto the Desktop.

To send the file back to the GPS:

1. Right-click [see note 1] on Current.gpx file on your Desktop and select Get Info.
  2. Under Name & Extension, rename the file Current1.gpx and press Enter.
  3. Right-click [see note 1] on the Current1.gpx file and select Copy.
  4. With Garmin device connected to the Mac, double-click on the Garmin Drive.
  5. Locate and double-click the GPX Folder.
  6. Right-click [see note 1] and paste the Current1.gpx file into the GPX folder on your Garmin device.

Note 1: If using a Mac with a one button mouse or trackpad, hold the Control button on the keyboard and then click the mouse.

========================================
Once you have your favorites backed up, then you can try a "master reset". But if there is a failure in the touch screen or its control circuits, then this will probably not work, because the touch screen is needed to make it reset.

The Master Reset is when you power on your unit while touching & holding the lower-right corner of the screen. When you do this you should see a screen pop up asking you to clear the user data. If you can touch the Yes button and it responds, then the unit will be set back to factory defaults, and may operate again. If it does, go through all the initializations screens, and then copy your favorites back to the unit (as instructed above) and you should be back in operation. If it will not reset, the replacement or repair (as stated above) would be in order.

Please let me know what you find or if you have more questions.

Take Care, Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Greg A.
Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer