Ridgerunnerras
Ridgerunnerras, Engineer
Experience:  Technical support Engineer for 10 years
54869360

I have a Garmin Nuvi 50LM which i bought in the US while on

I have a Garmin Nuvi 50LM which i bought in the US while on holidays, now I am back in Australia, how do I upload Western Australia map on my Garmin?
Category: GPS
Expert:  Ridgerunnerras replied 5 years ago.

Ridgerunnerras :

Hello I would like to help you with this. Do you currently have the Western Australia map for your Garmin?

Customer:

Hi, no i dont. It looks like the buy the Australian/NZ map for my Garmin is $149.00.

Ridgerunnerras :

So if you need instructions on how to purchase a map and install it on your device ?

Ridgerunnerras :

Or are you looking for another source for the map?

Customer:

I am not sure whether I have to delete the North American maps already on my Garmin so I can upload WA maps or I can just keep it and yes, is there another source for the map? I use a Mac, by the way. I have just registered my Garmin and it has uploaded my Lifetime Maps but for North America!!!

Ridgerunnerras :

The one I would do would be to call Garmin if you pay for lifetime maps that you now live in Australia they might be able to switch your lifetime map subscription for Australia only.

Ridgerunnerras :

Do you have and SD card in your Garmin?

Ridgerunnerras :

Let me explain how I swap between North America and Europe maps.

Customer:

I think it has an SD card in the side of the Garmin but I cant seem to take it out.

Ridgerunnerras :

My maps are on a SD card

Ridgerunnerras :

I have one SD card with my Europe maps and one SD card with my North American maps.

Ridgerunnerras :

On your SD card there will be a folder called Garmin. In this folder there will be a file with the file extension .IMG

Ridgerunnerras :

This is the file that has your maps in it.

Customer:

How do you remove the SD card because it doesnt seem to be able to come out? Sorry for dumb questions. there is no push button to eject the SD card.

Ridgerunnerras :

If you have this file for the Australian maps you can replace the North American map file with this new file.

Ridgerunnerras :

Push in on the SD card and it should pop back out

Ridgerunnerras :

If you replace this file With the new Australian map file You will now have a Australian map Installed on your Garmin

Customer:

I just had a closer look at my Garmin, it doesnt seems to have an SD card in the slot.

Ridgerunnerras :

OK that is fine.

Customer:

I suppose the main question is, do I just purchase the Australian map thru their Garmin website and just upload it on my Garmin without deleting my American maps?

Ridgerunnerras :

You can purchase the Garmin map on a SD card and all you have to do is plug the SD card into your device and your maps will be installed.

Ridgerunnerras :

You'll need to make sure that should go into your tools and then map and then select a map info, and make sure that your Australian maps have a checkmark in the box. If this box is not checked your Australian maps will not be active.

Ridgerunnerras :

Your American maps will not be deleted

Ridgerunnerras :

I suggest that you do get a SD car because your device will not have enough memory to hold both sets of maps. So I would order the maps already on the SD Card and just put it into your device

Ridgerunnerras :

I hope this helps you

Customer:

Ok, i will do that. Thanks for your help, much appreciated.