GPS

GPS repair problems? Ask a GPS technician for answers ASAP

My computer will not recognize my garmin so that I can

Customer Question
update my maps.  I have...
My computer will not recognize my garmin so that I can update my maps.  I have paid for updates but cannot get them
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: GPS
2/26/2012
Electronics Technician: Rod, Engineer replied 6 years ago
Rod, Engineer

You need to install the Garmin USB connector/Driver.

To do this, disconnect the GPS unit from your computer. Reboot, then go here and download the Garmin Communicator. Install this on your computer before connecting the unit. It is best to reboot once installed, before connecting the GPS device.

Thanks,
It IS installed - has been installed for a long time

How long ago? If any software updates have been done, some of the files may have been over-written - and need to be replaced. Also, Garmin releases updates periodically.

Uninstall the driver you have loaded, then download the latest version and install it and see if you still have problems.

Thanks,
Relist: Inaccurate answer.

the Communicator Plugin will not recognize my connected Garmin 660

Already Tried:
Connecting, clicking on search for device, contacting just answer,

I will opt out. If you do not want to proceed with the steps I recommended - then I cannot help you.

Thanks,
I did all the steps you recommended and it still didn't work
Electronics Technician: Charles, Engineer replied 6 years ago
Charles
Charles, Engineer

Hello and thanks for your question!!

What version of window are you running??

Electronics Technician: BEST-IT-Expert, Expert replied 6 years ago
BEST-IT-Expert

Hello! I have authored instructions to help folks get their Nuvis updated...they are very detailed in order to help you get through them. Please try to follow them as best you can and you should be able to update your Nuvi.

I know these instructions are long, but please don't worry...they are just very detailed to help folks follow them easily. Going through these steps does not take very long.

Downloading the actual updates may though, depending on your Internet connection speed.

Make sure to disable all firewall *and* anti-virus software before starting...also please use Internet Explorer during the process as Chrome will absolutely not work and Firefox may or may not work, depending on how you have it configured.

First, plug in your Nuvi and go to this link...

https://my.garmin.com/gcpInstall/checkPlugin.htm?target=https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/dashboard/dashboardScanDevice.htm

It will then try to detect your Nuvi. Once it does, click on the blue button with white text that says "Continue"...

Then, click on "Agree" (blue button with white text) on the page that will come up right after you clicked on "Continue" just now...

If it is easier for you, you can right-click on that blue text link above and then left-click on "open in new tab" or "open in new window"...whichever one will work better for you...

There should be a very light yellow bar at the top of your web browser...right-click on it and then left-click on the line that says "Install this add-on for all users on this computer"

You may be asked to enter your administrator account password ***** this time...if so, enter it and click on "OK"

And again, right-click on the very light yellow bar at the top of your web browser...right-click on it and then left-click on the line that says "Run Add-on"

Click on "Run" on that next small window that will pop up.

Then, you will see a screen where it will detect what version Nuvi you have...

Click on "Find Map Updates" (blue button with white text) that is on the LEFT side of the page, just underneath your Nuvi model on this page.

It will then search for the updates.

On the next screen, choose the update that you would like to install ("Prepaid", click on the "Update Now" button -OR- "Purchasable", click on "Add to Cart")

Here, you will see "Option 1" and "Option 2" -- most people are having trouble with Option 1 (The "lifetime" updater), so I would suggest going with Option 2. Full instructions for Option 2 are here: http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/Updating_Maps.pdf

...and here are my own step-by-step instructions for Option 2:

After clicking on the blue words "Garmin Map Update application" in the screen above, you will see a small window...Click on "Run" in this window.

It will ask for your administrator password ***** - enter it and click on "OK"

Then, in the next screen, click on "Continue" at the bottom right corner of the window.

Click on the checkbox next to "I agree...", in the next screen and then click on the "Continue" button. You'll see a few more screens and finally a screen with a list of instructions in it.

At this time, follow the directions on the window...make sure to do every step. When you disconnect the device, it will probably power off. Press the power button until it comes back on. The Nuvi will say "Loading maps." and the unit will reset itself (power off, then back on with the words "Software Loading..." at the top of the Nuvi's screen. When it is finished loading the updates, it will restart again. When it finally finishes restarting and comes up to your normal, regular navigation screen (After you hit "Agree" on the safety message), that is when you plug it back into the computer.)

Then, it will show if there are updates for your device.

Click on "Continue"

Click on "Install Options" on that next screen.

On this screen, choose CAREFULLY which regions you want to install. If the coverage you select is too big for your device, the download will fail because you don't have enough room to put the entire map set on your device. If your device does not have an SD card (or does not have the option to have one), I would STRONGLY recommend only installing the absolute MINIMUM coverage you need for your travels. (i.e. Only US and Canada is what I recommend...or maybe only one region of the USA if that will cover all the area you need to travel within...)

Click "OK" on this small window. (The one that says, "That's all we need from you right now...")

Now, your maps are being transferred to your Nuvi.

PLEASE READ THIS PART VERY CAREFULLY!!!!!

Make absolutely certain that your computer will not "sleep", "hibernate", or otherwise power itself down while it is transferring these files. If it does, it will usually shut off power to the USB ports. If it shuts off power to those ports, your file transfer will be interrupted and your maps will probably be corrupted and may not be recoverable without shipping the unit back to Garmin.

When the transfer to your device is complete, you will see a window that says, "Your maps are now up-to-date!" Click on the "Exit" button on that window.

That should do it...of course though, if you need help or have any questions, please let me know and I will do my best to help you.

BEST-IT-Expert
BEST-IT-Expert
BEST-IT-Expert
BEST-IT-Expert, Expert