Charles
Charles, Engineer
Experience:  Trouble shooting Electronics, FCC communications License
26609390

My Garmin Edge 705 is shutting off unprompted during use and

My Garmin Edge 705 is shutting off unprompted during use and will sync with my computer. Your advise please.
thank you,
Tony Schnurr [email protected]
Category: GPS
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

pbmfixs :

Hello, and thanks for your question!!

Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am happy to assist you today!!

Have you tried resetting the unit??

By pressing the MODE and LAP RESET butoons at the same time this will reset the unit without loossing your data. If this does not work you will need to service the unit as Garmin has had MANY problems with this exact same thing. Because the Garmin is a very small computer it is more likely to freeze up when anything glitches. If you use this on a Bike, then its getting bounced allot. From all the data and repairs I have seen and done trouble shooting on these units (12 of them) 2 had bad solder joints and 6 had just failled solder joints where the connection meets the battery. This causes a condition where the power is not consistant and can cause the unit to act this way.

Gamin should have the updates you need at www.garmin.com , go to the support tab and pull down the software button. Click on it and then go to web updater and select the sofware your device needs.

If all else fails, I would send it back to Garmin with a complaint letter asking for another unit because they have had so many problems with this model doing this. They may honor your request but I have know way of knowing. I have heard that some people got new or refurb replacements.

I hope this helps answer your question, if so please click the green accept button, if not im still here to assist you. Thanks again,

Charles

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I misstated that my Edge 705 will sync with the computer. It will NOT. Sorry. It will not recognize the unit at all. When trying to reset the unit it keeps shutting off prematurly. Please let me know if I can correct these issues at home.
Thank you,
Tony
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

Hello again,

No, you will not be able to. You have a pretty bad error of internal damage going on if it will not connect or even reset.

Sorry I dont have better news for you on that.

Charles

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you direct me to having this unit repaired? (Phone number and/or email address) I am assuming that Garmin has a repair facility or is this $500 unit unrepairable?
Please advise.
Thank you,
Tony
Expert:  Charles replied 5 years ago.

Monday-Thursday: 8 AM-6 PM, Friday 8 AM-5 PM Central Time (closed holidays)

U.S.:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>U.S. toll-free: 1-800-800-1020
Canada: 1-866-429-9296

Here is their contact info. Good luck with the unit.

Charles