rv007
rv007, Engineer
Experience:  Garmin Design Engineer
15873252

Why is the Garmin Nuvi 660 battery not charging?

Customer Question

Garmin Nuvi 660 battery is not charging after AC charging. It won't stay on. We've had it just for a year.

When plugged into a car power supply, on the plug, the light stays amber, not green and the unit shuts off. What should we do? 

Category: GPS
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 years ago.

Hello & Welcome,

When you turn on the unit, either in or out of the car, does it stay on long enough to see the battery charge level?

graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
it does, but shows low battery
Expert:  Greg A. replied 8 years ago.

If you have fully charged the battery (Garmin says 3 hours to charge), either by an AC adapter or car charger and the battery level still says low, then I believe you have a battery that is going bad.

Unfortunately, the battery in these units is not user replaceable. It would have to be replaced by the factory or at a shop that can do it. I checked the Garmin site and it says that this thing should have a 1 year warranty, so they should cover the cost of parts and repair. You would be responsible for shipping.

Before sending the unit to Garmin for a battery change we need to check your charging systems. There are number of things that can stop a Nuvi from charging.

Have tried to charge the unit using a computer USB cable?

Expert:  rv007 replied 8 years ago.

Just a little extra advice on the charging of the Nuvi, you mentioned that when on the vehicle lead it still showed low battery, this can only be one of two things.

As Greg has said this can point to a faulty battery (in this case shorted) and so if this proves to be the case then you should return the unit under warranty and accept Gregs answer.

The other thing it can be is a faulty vehicle lead, you need to try the following:

1. Text your Cigarette lighter socket with another device or preferably try the unit in another car that has a known working socket

2. Check the fuse on the lead, this is in the cig plug on the lead, just unscrew the end and you will see a glass fuse inside

3. If still no luck then try connecting the Nuvi to your computer via a USB lead and see if it will power up in PC connect mode

If still no luck try resetting the unit by pressing the reset switch with a straightened out paper clip or holding the power switch on for 10 seconds.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Where is the re-set switch located? And the power in the car is ok. I checked it with a voltmeter. It powers up in PC mode through a USB lead. I found and reset the unit. The unit charges fine through the USB or AC adapter. It does not charge through the 12VDC power cord, although an ***** *****ght is showing on the cord lighting.

It's supposed to show green when it is powering up through the 12vdc cord. The fuse is ok, as I've replaced it and checked the replacement fuse for continuity. The unit won't hold the charge, but it should function even with a weak or bad battery through the 12vdc power cord.

Expert:  rv007 replied 8 years ago.

It sounds like you have a faulty vehicle lead possibly in the plug that goes into the Nuvi. The unit should work with the vehicle lead even if the battery is flat, the fact it charges with the AC charger or USB lead confirms the problem is in the lead.

I would take the Nuvi to your Garmin dealer (with a copy of your receipt) and see if they can test your unit with a new lead, if the lead has no external damage they should replace it under warranty.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What about the battery going down so quickly? Does that indicate a battery fault?
Expert:  rv007 replied 8 years ago.

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the battery just yet... The best way to charge the Nuvi is on the vehicle lead, the usb connection and the power pack need to charge the Nuvi overnight (12 hours), longer if you have the Nuvi on at the same time.

The vehicle lead on the other hand can charge the Nuvi in 2 hours, this is because your car battery has a far higher supply capacity than the other two charge systems. Remember the ignition must be on for the lighter output to work. If you have not used your Nuvi in a while it will take a couple of charge/discharge cycles to bring it back to full capacity.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

At the moment, the Nuvi is on AC charge, showing that it is taking a charge. It is off and the screen is stating it is in charge mode.

I will leave it on overnight and see what occurs in the morning. meanwhile, I'll take a close look at the vehicle power cord and see if there's anything wrong with the pins and connections.

Expert:  rv007 replied 8 years ago.
No problem, check the Nuvi end as well, might be something up in the socket...
rv007, Engineer
Experience: Garmin Design Engineer