GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2007 GMC yukon.my problem is if u don't drive for a…

Customer Question
Hello.i have a 2007 GMC...
Hello.i have a 2007 GMC yukon.my problem is if u don't drive for a couple days the battery will b dead and won't crank.im on 2 nd new battery in 6 months and it randomly does this.it has no aftermarket electronics installed.been doing some online research sounds like a common problem with Chevy and gm vehicles.sounds like it could be BCM.any way to che
ck for sure?
Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: GMC
3/29/2018
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 21 days ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

The BCM as well as the radio were both common causes for this fault here.There is a way to check this.The problem is that the vehicle needs to be acting up when this test below is done.This test also requires the use or a multi meter to do the testing needed.It is a time-consuming procedure but is the best way to locate for sure which component is causing the parasitic drain on your battery.I have had vehicles that were intermittent and I had to test them this way a couple times a day until it acted up to then be able to locate the fault.If you do not have a multi meter to do this testing someone that does have one will need to do this or a shop or dealer.

O.k., what needs to be done is to leave the key out of the vehicle with the windows rolled up and make sure everything is off with access to the battery.

Set the meter to amperage or milliamp and disconnect the negative cable from the battery.Put the leads in the multi meter the correct way (negative in negative and positive in the amperage or milliamp slot if equipped).

Connect one cable from the meter to the ground cable that was connected to the battery and the other lead to the ground terminal on the battery, this way the current is flowing through the multi meter.

After around 5 to 10 minutes see what the meter reads for an amperage draw.Normally you want to see less than 50 milliamps or less than .05 amp.

If you see over this amount of a battery draw/drain then your vehicle has an electrical component draining the battery.

From here you would remove one fuse at a time with the meter still in place and observe the reading on the meter until you come across one fuse that allows the draw to read below the 50 milliamps.This is the fuse or circuit that has the component on it that is drawing down the battery.Make sure when you remove one fuse if it is not the issue reinstall it and move to the next waiting a minute between each fuse removed to get an accurate reading.

Once you find the fuse or circuit its on then you would look on a wiring diagram to see what that fuse powers and unplug each of those components one at a time until you locate the component causing the draw then this component would need to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks, Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic