GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

It is a 2004 GMC Envoy .I recently replaced the motor with a…

Customer Question
It is a 2004...

It is a 2004 GMC Envoy .I recently replaced the motor with a used one it starts and runs great but when the key is off the battery in the security lights are on dim when the key is off . Also when the truck is running none of the dash gauges are working they are all pegged over and don't move it all what could be the problem

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

It blinks at first then stays solid, but dim. No I did not try to reset the security system

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes ,I have checked all the fuses they are good I have checked voltage to everything it seems good, switched the computer it would not even start with the other computer so I switched it back .I don't understand all the gauges worked before I pulled the motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The junkyard said the motor was out of a 2004 the same as mine but I do believe it may have been a motor out of a four-wheel-drive and mine is a*****

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: GMC
3/29/2018
GMC Mechanic: JFN1, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

It sounds like a ground issue, like you left a ground disconnected. Do you recall any broken ground cables or anything like that?

No I do not I wish I Knew which one to check I would replace it

Let me research this a bit.

Thank you!
I will try that , thanks

Let me know if that fixes it, if not, we'll continue.

Ok It may be this evening.

OK, no problem. :-)

I did unplug the plug that is connected to the #6 ground wire & moved it out of the way when I removed the motor. I do remember it was hard to plug back in.I just unplugged it again to see if it was not making a connection , did not see anything unusual so I plugged it back in. No change, I am going to pull the tape & plastic off the cluster that , that ground wire is coming out of & check the wires, that will be tomorrow I will let you know what I find.

OK

Did you get this resolved?

Not yet I have been working but I will let you know what I find. Hope that is ok. Thank you

Of course, I was just following up to see if you had it fixed or not.

:-)