GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I contacted you earlier about my 2008 GMC Acadia SLT that…

I contacted you earlier about...
I contacted you earlier about my 2008 GMC Acadia SLT that was having a shudder/misfire when it was shifting. It was very slight, but noticeable. Mostly uphill. It turns out it is the torque converter (not wave plate) according to a transmission diagnostics done by a GMC dealership.
So my insurance company doesn't want to pay for a replaced torque converter. They want to flush it. The dealership has implied to me that while they've seen that fix it before, it's not likely to do much.Am I incorrect in interpreting that do mean a flush in any capacity is a temporary fix?
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I am leaving on a trip on Thursday. I have to drive to Athens, AL and back home and it's a thousand miles in one day.Insurance company told shop to flush it and then have me drive it for a few hundred miles. I am concerned since I will be going considerably above that.
3/27/2018
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

In some cases, the flush will free up and remove debris from the torque converter and can sometimes repair this issue permanently.But I have to agree with the dealer that in most cases the torque converter has to be replaced as an assembly to correct this issue here.Some insurance companies either like to jump through the hoops trying a flush first then replacing it or just paying for the flush only.Unfortunately, some of these companies are like that.

Since they are offering to pay for the flush I would have the flush performed.Then operate the vehicle and see if the issue continues.If it does not then your o.k. and should be o.k. from there on with no issues coming up with it again.But if it does not repair it then I would speak with your insurance company and let them know it did not fix it and see if they will then replace it for you.If not you would have to replace it out of pocket at your expense.I also had an insurance company in the past that was the same way.They would pay for the cheap repairs but not the real repair and ended up canceling the insurance and paying to repair it myself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
In your opinion, after this flush, would the vehicle be safe to drive for a thousand miles in a day?

After the flush is done if you feel a noticeable difference then you should be o.k. to drive it that far.I guess it all depends on how bad the shuddering feel is but in most cases you can still drive it this far without any issues even before the flush.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic
Pete, GMC Mechanic