GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Power seat will only work when motor is off, 2007 GMC.

Power seat will only...

Power seat will only work when motor is off, 2007 GMC

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Automatic and 142000

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '07 GMC?

Sierra 1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Sierra 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

It just started it

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not right now

3/26/2018
Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• THE TIME I AM ONLINE, 7 days a week normally online around midday and then late evening until early morning.
  • PHONE CALLS are automatically offered by the website normally after my first reply. I complete calls where I feel it is a benefit.
  • UPLOADED LINKS I SEND, if I upload dropbox links, they will open on a home PC, often they fail on a work PC, on a phone use the box on the top right of your phone screen for direct download.

Possible causes can be a weak motor that can move freely while off but not under load, or the seat track is locked up and stuck. See if it will move the seat while not sitting in it and help it move to see if it moves. If those help then it's a weak motor.

You now will see a rating scale 1=bad to-5=excellent because I have posted a full or partial answer instead of an info request. When you rate I get a portion of the deposit you made, no rating means you still paid, but I earn nothing. My goal is understanding your question, and addressing it in full detail. In return, receiving a 5-star rating. Rating does not close the post or stop the conversation. Please keep in contact and reply as much as needed. Thanks, Chris

There is nothing on the track, however it will move when I am on the seat, with truck running or just after turning it off, so with this info I take it that it is a weak motor, joy this truck is starting to nickle and dime me to death. Good thing I am the only one who drives it. I am guessing the fix is to replace the motor?

You would replace the motor or rebuild the motor if you have that skill.

Chris (aka-Moose), GMC Technician