GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2003 Hummer H2 and as my son was backing out of the…

Customer Question
I have a 2003...

I have a 2003 Hummer H2 and as my son was backing out of the driveway I hear a loud sound of what sounded like a hose busted with brief air pressure and now it makes a whining sound in every gear including park except drive and though it will drive forward it wont drive in reverse and when this first happened if I rotated steering wheel, it would enhance the sound as if it were power steering whining sound but not turning the steering wheel doesn't change the whining sound

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

I believe the trans is as old as the Hummer although the engine was changed with an engine with lesser miles, and no I have not checked the break switch, what would that have to do with my transmission ?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your H2 yourself? What have you tried so far?

I have a friend that is trying to help me but I am not a mechanic although he has some mechanical knowledge and he is guessing its internal

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I can shift into reverse but the hummer will not move although it will drive forward and the whining noise goes away but only in drive

Submitted: 29 days ago.Category: GMC
3/25/2018
GMC Mechanic: JFN1, ASE Certified Technician replied 29 days ago
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

If it won't go into reverse, there is really nothing else you need to know. There is nothing outside of the transmission, nor accessible from the pan, that will cause all of these problems and a loss of reverse. This transmission should move forward in at least one gear, and in reverse, no matter what, even with the computer disconnected from the harness.

This is going to be a transmission overhaul. What ever broke or let go, it's going to have to be removed from the vehicle to repair it.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know, I am happy to follow up.

GMC Mechanic: JFN1, ASE Certified Technician replied 25 days ago

Did you have any more questions about this?

JFN1
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician