GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I bought a wrecked 2014 GMC Terrain. I have since changed…

I bought a wrecked...

I bought a wrecked 2014 GMC Terrain. I have since changed all air bags and put a new front clip on the car. I was able to erase all the diagnostic codes except for 3. They are U0126-00, U0415-00, and U0100-00 and the service stabilitrak and service powersteering lights are on in the heads up display area. I've tried to reprogram the steering wheel angle sensor module and I get confirmation that the steering wheel angle has been reprogrammed but the code doesn't erase. I've also been able to erase the U0100 code but after I drive vehicle it comes back as a code. I don't feel anything wrong with the steering and the car runs and drives perfectly. I would just like to get all the codes cleared.

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?

There is no fluid. It is and electric power steering system

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Terrain yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I am fixing myself. I have my own computer. I have checked all the wires coming from the power steering pump and they all look fine. I've disconnected them and reconnected them hoping for loose connection but nothing

3/17/2018
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

U codes are communications codes. U0100 means lost communication with ECM. U0126 is lost communication with steering angle sensor. U0415 is invalid EBCM data received.

So, those correlate with the warning messages and symptoms you're having. Is it possible that the EBCM (ABS computer) got damaged in the accident and needs replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I suppose it's possible. I was able to reset all the ABS codes so I ruled that out. I changed all airbags and seatbelts to get all the codes erased. Where is the ABS computer located?

The EBCM is attached to the ABS electrohydraulic unit, right next to the master cylinder under the hood. This computer also integrates with the electronic power steering and uses the steering angle parameter for stability control, so I think all of these concerns are somehow related.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah, when I was checking all the wires from the electric power steering unit I noticed that's where they went, to the unit behind the master cylinder. I just wanted to confirm that's where the EBCM was. Alright, I will look at changing that out. There's no obvious signs of damage but you never know when something has been in an accident. Thank you

You're welcome!

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, just let me know. I am happy to follow up with you.

JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
JFN1
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician