GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

We started having a missing issue and so we changed the fuel…

Customer Question
We started having a...

We started having a missing issue and so we changed the fuel filter and looked at the codes. Said we had a bad crank and cam sensor so we replaced them. Still had a slight miss to it. We had already changed the fuel pump when we rebuilt the engine. Then the truck died and had to be towed home. So we have now also change the coil pack with ECM and the distributor. At that point it would still only act like it would start but not start. We checked the fuel pressure. It is showing 60 PSI. Which is what the manufacturer states it should be. We read a post that talked about the spider injection system and the fuel pump relay so we replaced the relay and tried. Same. Then we went today and got a set of spider injectors and a replacement fuel pressure regulator. Still have the same issue. So we are lost now. List of what we have done, new fuel pump, fuel filter, spider injectors, fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump relay, new distributor, new coil and ECM. There is nothing else we can think of. OH YEAH, it does run with carb cleaner being sprayed into it. So we know it is more than likely a fuel issue but have replaced all the fuel parts. So what else can it be? If you have had this same issue or know how to figure this out, please let me know. I can't afford to take it to a shop. 1 LAST THING all the codes are clear now on my home tester. HELP ME PLEASE.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?

No it will not start at all. tries to start but wont run

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your GMC?

2001 gmc jimmy

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Jimmy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: GMC
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello
3/16/2018
GMC Mechanic: JFN1, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

Is the SECURITY light lit up on the dash with the key on?

No
We actually did a reset of the security per the dealership. It took like 30+ minute. Turning the car on and off and on and off and on and off. Didn't help at all.

Do you have spark at the coil when you crank it?

It runs if you spray carb cleaner in it
Were you able to read all that we've done from the earlier text
Are you there
Hello are our you here
Guess you are no longer here
Can I get another expert please
GMC Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

Do you have power to the injectors and an injector pulse?

you can here the injectors fire/pulse. It will seem like it wants to start but then dies out. It will stay running if you spray carb cleaner in the throttle body

Ok, hearing them is not good enough. We need to see that 1, the power feed to each injector is 12V and makes a bright test light, same as testing the battery, and 2, that you get a solid injector pulse with a NOID light.

I used a volt ohm meter and it shows 12+ volts of power.
I don't have a mood light.
Noid light

OK, Ohm meter only shows voltage potential, we need to test that with a regular incandescent test light.
Noid light, you can get those at a part store or online.

Would a test like, ground to positive work and where is the best place to test it at.
Test light

Pop the block connector off at the intake and measure power on the pins with the key on.

For the injector pulse, that has to be a NOID light. A test light will not work for that portion of the test. All this is testing power and the ECM's ability to fire them.

We have tried two new ecm's. if it's not pulsing what could it be so we can try to get the part
I would also assume to connect the noid we would put one end into one pin and the other end in the other pin
Hello r u there
Sorry I am here. Yes you put the pins of the NOID light between each pair of pins in the plug.