GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

This is strange. My battery light came on in my 02 Sierra…

Second opinion] This is strange...
Second opinion] This is strange. My battery light came on in my 02 Sierra pickup and we concluded the alternator died. What is happening now is that when I start the truck when it's cold (I live in Minnesota) the battery light goes off and the volt meter shows its charging. When I turn it off and start up again in about 15 minute the battery light comes on again. This has happened a couple of times. Any idea's?
3/16/2018
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

It's possible that the alternator is not good. "New" does not equal "good" so don't overlook it just because you replaced it.

I assume it never did this before you replaced the alternator, is that right?

Actually, I never replaced the alternator but intend to. I just thought it strange that it started working again but only on a cold start and wondered if anybody heard of this before. The current alternator has over 200K miles on it.

Ah! Replace the alternator. It sounds like it's on the way out, and you're getting more forewarning than most people get, which is usually none.

I would replace it and see if these problems go away.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need anything else, let me know, I'm happy to follow up.

JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
Gotcha, thanks