GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2000 gmc Yukon xl 1500 4wd speedometer not working, abs and…

Customer Question
2000 gmc Yukon xl...

2000 gmc Yukon xl 1500 4wd speedometer not working, abs and red brake light on

Mechanic's Assistant: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?

As I said, abs and red brake light on dashboard

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon XL yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just rebuilt the transfer case. I had my own garage for 35 years. have a lot of experence with my snapon scanner also. I tested the voltage at the speedometer sensor. I,m a one finger typer, sorry its slow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Yes, The transfer case shifts ok into 4wd. The transmission shifts irratic until the speedometer starts to move. the snapon verus scanner doesn't show any abs codes, the graph shows the front speed sensors at 3mph with the vehicle in park. Intermittantly, the abs light turns off and the speedometer starts moving irratically. When stopping, the abs motor kicks in and the light comes back on and the speedometer stops working. I have disconnected the main computer and the body computer behind the glovebox and reconnected both after checking the pis and connectors. I have removed and cleaned the main battery ground wire and the abs ground wire also. I have a steady .65 volts at the passenger rear sensor..The speedometer sensor has a light green/black wire and a purple/white wire on the rear drivers side of the transfer case .I installed a new sensor even though the original sensor tested ok on my ohm meter. The .65 volts at the connector goes to 0.0 volts in less than 1 second. I have checked the voltage at the connector on top of the transfer case going towards the main computer it also loses the voltage in less than 1 second. . I have disconnected the battery for 30 seconds and touched the cables together for the reset. VIN# ***** BUILD DATE 05/00

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: GMC
3/14/2018
GMC Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
It's pretty common for abs modules to fail it sounds like yours is faulty since you're getting lights but no codes and weird voltage is all over the place I would probably send the module off to get rebuilt.I prefer modulemaster.com in Moscow Idaho.
How does the ABS module cause no voltage at the vss sensor?
It doesn't necessarily, however the other issues you are having are abs related, and I generally prefer to fix what I believe to be wrong first and then continue on down the line.Run a new wire from fuse 8 to pin 3 of the speed sender first then if you'd like.