GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

Looks like i have a similar problem with my 2005 gmc envoy.

Customer Question
Looks like i have...

Looks like i have a similar problem with my 2005 gmc envoy. The check engine light is on and when the car is on idle it shakes and gives a message "oil pressure low" The oil gauge then decreases. I can catch it if i put the car in neutral and the oil gauge goes back to normal

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?

It stays on

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Envoy yourself? What have you tried so far?

Also, when on idle the RPM goes to 2 sometimes 3 RPM and I would have to turn the car off to "reset" we took it to a mechanic but the oil pressure is fine, the engine is fine. we're thinking it something with the computer? and maybe needs to be updated?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

That's about it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: GMC
3/14/2018
GMC Mechanic: tech0405, Technician replied 4 months ago
tech0405
tech0405, Technician

Good afternoon can you provide me the trouble code that you have that has triggered the check engine light to come on ??

I'm sorry. I can't remember the code

Ok if the check engine light is on then this is more then likely related to the oil pressure light coming on especially if the engine is shacking did your technician check the oil pressure while the engine was having the issue and acting up?

our technician did check the oil pressure. He said everything was fine
They even cleaned the throttle body. But occasionally this problem continues to happen

OK i recommend they check the oil pressure with a oil pressure gauge exactly when the issue is happening they need to catch the oil pressure reading when the issue is happening . We have seen issues with the oil pumps on this model starving for oil and causing major damage to the engine we want to try to avoid that as much as possible . Regarding the check engine light have the codes checked to make sure you dont have a oil pressure switch that is bad causing the oil light to come on and the check engine light to come on especially if they have stated that the oil pressure is fine . I hope this helps please dont forget to provide feedback for the help pivoted thank you

That's interesting because our mechanic said the same thing. But when they are testing the oil pressure while the car is in idle, the car works just fine. So we would pick up the car and the problem would come back a few days later.

They need to check it when its happening have them drive the car around with the oil pressure gauge attache to the vehicle usually oil pressure issues happen while driving and not at idle . I hope this helps please dont forge to provide feedback for the help provided thank you