GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2007 Envoy rwd traction repair light and traction light

Customer Question
illuminated. History of issues Dec 2015 bought the...
2007 Envoy rwd traction repair light and traction light illuminated.
History of issues
Dec 2015
bought the envoy. traction button on gear shifter never worked.not traction control light or repair light. Replaced hub on driver side.
Nov 2016
control arm bracket bushing needed. Replaced with an aftermarket control arm bracket by my mechanic.
Feb 2017
started having issues keeping car aligned properly. Tires bought several times in 17.
Sears did an alignment after I bought tires from another shop. No traction lights on
May 2017
Something popped lose and I had to tow the car to dealer. Dealer took too long to check it out. So I took it to sears.
Sears said it was the alignment and got the alignment right. They Mentioned control arm bracket may not be the right one. No traction lights on.
Summer 2017
After buying more tires, another shop was replacing the after market control arm bracket. I got it sent as replacement for the previous part. They showed me a control arm on the other side of the car was lose due to the hole the screw and bolts of the control arm goes, was bigger and had rusted the hole bigger so control arm was not on properly. Recommended take it to a frame shop since the hole was bigger on the strut tower and it's attached to the frame. No traction lights on.
Light humming on passenger wheel. (Likely hub.
Driver side hub was replaced 8 month before)
Nov 2017
Bought tires again.
Took it to frame shop, got it welded back.
No traction lights on
Dec 2017
Bought original control bracket and got it aligned and the dealer. Didn't drive it for months. Maybe to the store and back. No traction lights on.
Dealer said the alignment won't get the toe in properly but they got as straight as they could, still charged me.
Another shop replace purge canister solenoid bcuz the evap code read it and the engine was on and it failed the test. Replaced it and then engine light went off.
Feb 2018
Traction light and traction repair
Light illuminated. Abs light illuminated.
A few days later engine light came back. Code for it read evap code for same canister purge solenoid.
March 2018
Drove 45 miles, wheel would going everywhere, not keeping striaght. Ripped up tires on the inside of both tires. Took it the dealer and they said it's not due to them aligning. (I figure it was since it happened once before after Sears had aligned it.)
It was the rack and pinion. Took to my mechanic.
Replaced hub, rack and pinion. Unhooked battery and reconnected. Engine light went away. Abs light went away. Traction light stayed on. Car seem to drive
At neither lighting when code checked was there a code. Does the stabilitrack need to be reset ? What does this sound like?
Steering angle sensor?
Throttle position sensor?
Hub sensor?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: GMC
3/13/2018
GMC Mechanic: JFN1, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

There is a code. There simply is, it's in the ABS system. "Code readers" and inexpensive scan tools will not read ABS codes, it requires a professional scan tool (Snap On, Tech 2).

You shouldn't be needing to buy tires every few months, that's ridiculous. Your "mechanics" are missing something major if you're wiping out tires every few months. What part of the country do you live in?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It has been scanned at the dealer and the mechanic I have. This is not shade tree mechanics though. I am in a
Memphis, Tn. The part of the country shouldn't matter either. I'm paying 30 bucks for expert opinion. That really doesn't tell me much since the scan tools I'm sure the dealer has. I have heard they designed this car pretty messed up. So what else do you think it could be? The question was does the stabilitrack has to reset after those repairs? If so, how do you reset it?

The only reason I ask what part of the country you're in is so I might be able to refer you to a good repair shop, that is all.

If there is a warning light illuminated on the dash, there is almost certainly a code stored. If there truly isn't, then the mechanic needs to point that scan tool toward the instrument cluster and determine why it's illuminating that warning light without cause. Defective cluster is a possibility.

I wouldn't replace any parts (such as throttle position sensor and steering angle sensor that you mentioned) without cause. "Guessing" at parts replacement like this is expensive, almost always wrong, and very frustrating. If there was a faulty steering angle sensor, the computer would recognize it and log a trouble code.

There is no reset necessary after a repair. After each key cycle, the ABS computer runs all of its tests again, and if the failure is no longer present, the light will not come back on.

I don't think Envoy/Trailblazer is designed any worse than any other GM product. They're fine vehicles, and they share much of this ABS/Traction/Stability architecture with other GM brands.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

GMC Mechanic: Daniel, Manager replied 1 month ago
Daniel, Manager

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Please note that all experts are paid based off of ratings alone and I prefer five stars so please let me know what I can do to achieve that from you today.

Based on the information that you've given and what I have read so far, I am recommending that we continue this conversation via phone call assistance so that I can help you more efficiently. Please accept the phone call proposal so that we can continue or we can continue through this message board but it may take longer depending on the difficulty level of your problem.

Once you have accepted the proposal and I will post my phone number, at that point you will text me at least 30 minutes prior to when you are ready to talk. At that point I will call you or set up a time to do so as soon as possible.

Do you still need help with this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok hey there. I'm ready

Alright, is it just the traction light that's on, or are there other lights with it, like the red brake light or the amber ABS light?

JFN1
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician