GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I am having a problem with the shifter on my 2010 GMC

Customer Question
I am having a...

I am having a problem with the shifter on my 2010 GMC Acadia.

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?

Not sure that's the problem. There was a soda spilled in the console last summer and now with the cold weather it is sticking in Park.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

I can spray water on the shift handle and it will eventually go in gear.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: GMC
3/10/2018
GMC Mechanic: JFN1, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 months ago
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

The soda that spilled in the column undoubtedly has the shift lock solenoid sticking in the LOCK position. Ultimately, the fix for this will be to get in there and replace the things that can be replaced. I'll have to research and see if the lock solenoid is serviced separately on this or not, but many times, this means replacing the shifter assembly. Is this something you want to try to fix yourself?

I can try, Why does it work when I spray water in the shifter? That's what the GMC dealer suggested I do.
Are you still there?

Yes, I am here. Helping several customers at once, sorry for delay.

Water is dissolving the sugar that's making it stick, but that's not a permanent fix. You'll never get it all out of there. A new shifter will solve this problem permanently for you.

Did you get this worked out?

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.