GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2001 yukon denali xl and having a problem with my…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 yukon denali xl and having a problem with my air ride system. I have check all fuses and relay and the compressor is new. When I turn the key (but not starting the engine) after about 10 sec, I here the solenoid on the compressor click but the compressor does not come on. Also i don't have any warning messages.

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes I can turn the steering wheel. key is not damaged

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I check everything except the module.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2018
GMC Mechanic: Danny, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician
The reason you're not getting any warning lights is because generally on systems like this the compressor itself is not a modern component by the air suspension control module because the compressor cannot be directly run by the control module, it's just run by a relay so the only thing that the module can monitor is the relay. In some cases the triggering side of the relay circuit is electrically sound, but the side of the relay that actually sends power to the compressor is failed or the compressor itself has failed.What you need to do is go to the compressor and manually try to power it up with two wires from a battery or check for voltage at the compressor with a voltmeter while somenody keys the vehicle on.If the relay clicks and the compressor is getting voltage but not turn it on or if you manually try to power it up and it does not turn on then it is faulty.What brand compressor did you buy? If it's not an oem compressor and it's like a Dorman brand it is a possibility that it could be bad right out the box.I'm also not sure how you check the relay but I would probably just replace the relay, not check it only.You need to check and see how much voltage is making it from the relay to the compressor, it's possible that the old compressor took out the wiring or that it has excessive resistance due to heat damage.Basically if what you're saying is true either the relay is faulty or the power side of the relay is not getting power or the wires are eating up the voltage to the compressor so much so that it can't kick on, or possibly that the tank is full and so it's not actually kicking the compressor on because it has too much pressure and the solenoids that control the air suspension height are not functioning properly.Do you have a scan tool capable of talking to the air suspension module?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Don't have a scan tool. but I will check for voltage at the compressor. I thought that if the compressor clicks I would be getting voltage.
I checked the relay by applying 12 Volts to the relay coil a checking resistance across the contact.
You need to check the relay by seeing how much voltage is coming out of the wire that goes to the compressor, and yes if you were getting a click of the compressor you're getting a voltage, but you might be getting a click at the compressor because you're getting 6 volts and that's why the compressor is not kicking on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'll check the voltage at the compressor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Getting 11.95 Volts at compressor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How can I check the compressor? can I connect to battery.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Checked the compressor manually and it comes on.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It may be the ground wire
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Where does the ground wire connect from the connector.
That depends does the compressor get 12 volts all the time? If it does then the ground is coming from the actual air suspension control module. I have to look and see, but in reality you can run anywhere do you have continuity to ground on that wire going back into the harness? I would maybe try to cut the wire and ground it out manually and see what happens if you only get power to the other wire when the relay activates and then see if it functions properly. And then see if it functions properly.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Yeah I was thinking about trying that. I did take a resistance reading from the ground connector at the harness plug to ground and didn't get anything.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I removed a small section on insulation from the harness ground wire and connected to temporary ground wire and it didn't work.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
don't know if I have 12 volt with load.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
May be insulation breakdown when load is applied.
Well in order to tell how functions we need to know if that 12 volts is always there or only there when the relay kicks on.
Danny
Danny
Danny, ASE Certified Technician