GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

2007 Isuzu i-290 (small truck like Chevy Colorado or GMC…

Customer Question
2007 Isuzu i-290 (small truck...
2007 Isuzu i-290 (small truck like Chevy Colorado or GMC Canyon)... brought into tireshop to change TPMS sensors. all went well. walking to truck in parking lot, noticed headlights were on. sat in truck, needed to get my cell phone plugged in because it was about dead. totally forgot about headlights being on (no bong bong bong bong when i got in truck). started truck, drove home. parked truck at home, and again, didn't notice headlights on because they were on auto, so the headlights stayed on for a minute-or-so to allow light in the evening. went inside. son pulled up 5-10 minutes later, told me headlights were on. went out... verified headlight switch was on Auto, but... still no bong bong bong alert that headlights were on. when i moved headlight switch to parking lights or ON position, i got bong bong bong alert, but... not when on auto. i had to disconnect battery to keep headlights from draining battery (that or unplug headlamps relay). what-the-heck?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: GMC
3/8/2018
GMC Mechanic: JFN1, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

The body control module operates the headlights, it makes every determination about headlight operation, so if they're malfunctioning, you need to address it with a capable scan tool to query the BCM and see why it's doing what it's doing.

BCM failure is common, I suspect you have a BCM that needs to be replaced. If so, it needs programming that requires dealer equipment, so for these reasons, I recommend getting this to the dealer or a good repair shop that is capable of handling it for you.

Please take a moment to rate my answers using the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. Let me know if you need anything else, I am happy to follow up.

although i DO understand that things can fail, unexpectedly, isn't it just a little bit odd that it decided to fail, at the same time as the TPMS sensors were installed/programmed? i know the tireshop used a tool to reprogram the TPMS sensors (and incidentally they didn't complete resetting until vehicle was driven a mile or two).
but... when i did troubleshooting, that led me to changing the TPMS sensors, the alternate programming method (ignition on, set parking brake, move headlight switch from auto to off 4 times in 5 seconds, to go LF, RF, RR, LR, etc) ... is there any chance the headlights could have been programmed to stay on, some kind of way?

BCM is what monitors the TPMS sensors, so it was involved in the programming process. BCM failure is common, sometimes for no reason, sometimes because you do something as innocuous as programming TPMS sensors. Impossible to say, it has no rhyme or reason to it. I try to avoid drawing connections like that, and just address the failure as it presents itself. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to figure out how programming the TPMS caused the headlights to freak out. So, if you treat it as a "headlights won't shut off" symptom and just diagnose it as such, you'll end up at the BCM and probably find that the BCM is confused inside, and needs to be replaced.

If it fails entirely, your truck won't start, so you should get this checked sooner than later, and have it repaired as needed.

Did you get this worked out?