GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

My 2007 Hummer H3 with 90K miles Has the Service 4WD message…

Second opinion] My 2007 Hummer...
Second opinion] My 2007 Hummer H3 with 90K miles Has the Service 4WD message on. I was wondering what could have caused this? (Age, Miles, Ex.) and What types of fixes could be needed to fix the issue?
Really just want to know what are possibilities that could have caused the problem
3/8/2018
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

So with this issue there are a numerous amount of things in the system that can cause the light to come on, usually its a encoder motor on the transfer case but I have sensors and wiring and other things cause this as well. first step in solving this issue is having the vehicle scanned with a professional level scanner to reveal the codes in the system which is throwing the light and from there we can determine what steps to take next to either replace a part or perform some diagnostics.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Customer satisfaction is my number one goal. I would like to receive nothing less than a 5 star rating. If you feel we aren’t there yet please let me know or respond more so we can get the answer you feel is correct. You can do this rating at the box on the upper right hand corner. This will not close our chat session and at no extra charge we will still be able to talk about any other issues you may have for free! Providing a rating is the only way I will receive credit for my work with you. Negative ratings do not result in a refund so If you’re not satisfied with the work we have done so far please respond more and let’s get your question figured out. Thanks Shawn!

What could cause the Encoder motor on the transfer case to go out or cause problems like it is now?

just a combination of age and parts design, they happen a lot in these vehicles

Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician
Thankyou alot! Very helpful!

Your very welcome!

Thanks for the great rating! Hope you have a wonderful day and feel free to add me to your favorites list for assistance in the future.