GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2005 Yukon Denali XL All Wheel Drive. My Yukon

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 Yukon Denali XL All Wheel Drive. My Yukon seems to be hesitating or upon accelerating it bogs down and I’m hearing some grinding noise at the same time. I’ve had to let the gas pedal go and push it again to get it “unstuck”. I have no engine lights on and have had it scanned with no codes. I’m having the transmission filter and gasket replaced but wanted to know if it might be my drive line or the seal?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I hear the noise on the front driver side of the vehicle. I noticed it 3 months ago. Currently there are 152,000 miles on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?

I would like to fix it myself. I’ve had both front tires looked at, we’ve looked at the steering column, removed the tires to look into the brakes

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: GMC
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
GMC Mechanic: Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic replied 3 months ago
Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), GMC Mechanic

Hello there, I am Cam.

I am Licensed technician at a GM dealership with more than 16 years experience. 
Like you, I am a user of this website and as such, any billing questions should be sent to customer service.

I ask that you please provide details and communicate with me so we can make your experience here worth 5 stars! I am around most days but not every minute of every day. If you reply while I am offline, I will respond when I am next online. 

I am reviewing your request and will post in a moment.

When this happens, does the noise seem to be similar to the ABS engaging?

If you disable the traction system, does it seem to work?

The noise is not similar to the ABS. And when the traction system is disabled the noise and hesitation is still there

Is there a check engine light then?
Prior to playing in the transmission, what was the fluid condition and colour?

There is no check engine light and transmission color and condition is normal

Ok, to avoid possible confusion, what are you calling normal? Red, Pink, tan, brown, black? Particles? Cloudy, clear?

We noticed a leak coming from the pan so we are fixing the transmission for that reason

Do you have the old transmission filter? If so can you crack the housing and spent eh felt to look for debris inside it?

Red and clear
It will be changed tomorrow morning so I don’t have access to it right now

Ok, when you do, open the filter and see what is inside it. Even take pictures of the contents.

Ok, and do I post to this forum?

yes, use the paperclip icon. I Am suspecting you have a valve sticking or something like that causing the wrong gear to be engaged.

Ok, if that’s the case I would clearly see debris inside the filter right?

usually. but that is why I need to see what is in there. There will be small bits of debris normally from use, but determining which is which is hard to explain. Pictures would help in this case.

Ok, I’ll upload photos tmrw to the chat and wait for a response from you. Thank u Cam

Sounds like a plan.