GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2010 GMC Yukon Denali xl and both front seats

Customer Question
Hi. I have a...

Hi. I have a 2010 GMC Yukon Denali xl and both front seats heating and cooling functions do not work. The lights come on on the switches and I hear a click under passenger seat. Any ideas what the problem is or where to look?

Mechanic's Assistant: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?

I don’t have a noise I have heated and cooled seats issue.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon Denali yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes I am. I have checked connections for burnt pins and found nothing.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not at this time.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: GMC
3/7/2018
GMC Mechanic: Pete, GMC Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Pete, GMC Mechanic

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.
I am here Sundays through Thursdays from around 5 am to 2 pm Mountain time.If you respond and I do not respond back right away I will do so as soon as I can.

Did both seats start to act up at the same time?

Let me know,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I had bought the truck used and they didn’t work when I got it. So I’m not sure.

Have you had the fault codes read out at all with a fully compatible scan tool or computer that will plug in and can read all computers in your vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No. Would that need to be done by a gm dealer?

It would have to be done by a shop or dealer or someone that has a fully compatible scan tool that can plug into your vehicle to read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Your memory seat control module controls the heated and cooled seats and it can fail to cause both seats to act up like this here.There would be a code set in it that needs to be checked to help identify that it is the cause needing to be replaced.But this was a common component to cause this issue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can you tell me the most common module that normally fixes this ? Which seat is it under and part #?

It is called the climate control seat module which is located under the passenger front seat.I suspect it is what you hear clicking but it is not operating.Unfortunately, my info is not showing the part number as there are different options depending on your vehicle VIN number which I don't have access to looking up.The cost for this module is around $270 and about 1 hours labor to have replaced.It does have to be programmed by a dealer when it is replaced in order for it to work properly in your vehicle.

It is bolted to the passenger front seat and will be a black box with connectors plugged into it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why does it need to be programmed ? Is that dealer only as well?

It has to be programmed to recognize the seat features in your model as well as the vehicle VIN number as it communicates with the other computers in your vehicle on a data line.If it is not programmed it will not work at all or properly in your vehicle.This has to be done with a dealers computer plugged into your vehicle or a shop that has access to dealer programming.

Thanks Pete

Pete, GMC Mechanic