GMC

GMC troubleshooting questions? Ask a mechanic for answers

I have a 2016 Acadia with 40,000 miles. "service side

I have a 2016...

I have a 2016 Acadia with 40,000 miles. "service side detection system" came on. Took it to the dealership for repair. They tried to order a part and claim they have no idea when the part will be available. Took it home and 3 days later it wouldn't start at all. Battery was drained. Charged battery to get the seat to move to take battery out. Replaced battery and no luck. Got multiple warnings of low gas, no air bags, etc. Had it towed to the dealership and was told that the side detection system failure caused a larger electronic failure. Was told the replacement part is being "redesigned" and they have no idea how long until a repair is available.

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

No change in gas use. It won't start at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Acadia yourself? What have you tried so far?

It was towed to the dealership. I can't fix it and I was told again this morning that they don't know when the part will be available.

3/7/2018
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician

It sounds like the computer that controls this system has failed. All of the computers in the vehicle communicate with each other over a series of data circuits, and when something goes wrong, it can disrupt this whole data communication process, and the vehicle will do what you've described: various warning lights and messages, dead battery, fails to start or jump start. Everything you've said makes sense when we are talking about a computer failure.

It also sounds like they have been in touch with GM engineering, and have been advised that the part is being redesigned, and that's why there is no stock. I understand that it's frustrating. One thing you can do is talk to the service manager, and see if there is a stock unit (a used car or a new car) from which they can pull this part and install it in yours, to get yours running again. Otherwise, it's the waiting game, and it might be several days to a couple of weeks before you get the part you need.

Please take a moment to rate my answers by clicking on the stars at the top of the page, that's how I get compensated. If you need more help, I am happy to follow up with you.

JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I did get the extended warranty and they gave me a loaner until it’s fixed.
JFN1
JFN1
JFN1, ASE Certified Technician